Basic care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

808813jo

My son has recently purchases a bearded dragon and I'm not sure he is caring for it correctly. Everything on I have read on here says no it's a cool little thing and I don't want to see it die. He feeds it super worms but recently the beardie has been killing them but not eating them and it is turning really dark it sheds constantly he doesn't give it a bath ever has it in sand... How do I keep this little dude alive please help

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pic of tank and lighting we can go from there ----- please get rid of the sand --- it causes impaction and being its young he is going to eat alot of it unless you take it out when you feed him - you can use paper towels for now or newspaper --- here is a nutrition website
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
here is how to post pics https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and click on pic when it comes up---
Please no more super worms as a main diet -- he needs crickets or dubia roaches -- dusted in calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week --- you can read the care sheet for more information on the front page of this website--- please ask more questions if you have them I have just given you some of it---- he also needs to be fed a salad every day --- look at the nutrition website and it will tell what to feed what not to feed and how often to feed
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I would start first with the care sheet on this site. And from there it would be best to spend some time going through each of the sections of these forums here. Paying close attention to the enclosures section and the feeding section. There is so much good information here.

And if you have any questions or concerns, just ask :)

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
808813jo":3kqftz9f said:
My son has recently purchases a bearded dragon
How big (grams) or estimated total length is it ?

and I'm not sure he is caring for it correctly. Everything on I have read on here says no it's a cool little thing and I don't want to see it die. He feeds it super worms but recently the beardie has been killing them but not eating them and it is turning really dark it sheds constantly he doesn't give it a bath ever has it in sand
what kind of sand ?
I'm not a fan of keeping bearded dragons on sand (even as full grown adults) , some sands are lethal and should not be used with any lizard as substrate .

... How do I keep this little dude alive please help

Photos of the dragon
of tank
of lights
details on tank dimensions LxWxH
details on temperatures (warm end, cool end, at basking spot)
how are you measuring these
UV (source details = brand, wattage, type, UVB rating, ontop or under mesh lid, distance from basking spot

exact diet and feeding schedule (what , sizes of insects , when)
lighting schedule

If it's regurgitating the insects - likely too big , or there's a blockage in the gut. You mention superworms , if this is the only food offered , it's a totally inadequate diet.
Nor should superworms be offered to a dragon under 12 inches long , a good rule of thumb is if under 1 year old , no superworms or mealworms.

Better off offering
BSFL
silkworms
butterworms (if you can find them)
above three are very soft , high in calcium and very easy to digest.

Crickets, locusts and roaches are also very good feeders if appropriate sized, gutloaded, and dusted.
if it's pooing undigested insects - the temperatures are the issue.

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=234999&p=1807834#p1807834

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom