Eye problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
106262-1110557025.jpg
I have about a 6-7 month old bearded dragon. We got him a bigger tank about a month ago. He was a little stressed about the new tank but he is eating food and drinking water just fine now. The last week or 2 I noticed his eyes weren't opening. He climbs all over his tank like nothings wrong. He does rub his head sometimes I noticed. I have started to use the reptile eye solution. This is the second day I've used it. But I'm wondering if there's something else wrong or should the eye solution help. I hate him being like this. He's very cuddly. At the moment I'm using a 10.0 exo terra uvb bulb. It is a coil which I'm getting a bulb soon. I did turn it off wondering if that was the problem. I'm looking to see if there may be something I missed or any ideas of what might help.
106262-222785362.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Have you seen any discharge or crusty buildup around his eyes? That may indicate infection. It's possibly lighting related but not necessarily. Is the weather nice enough to take him outside? You might try giving him some time in natural sunlight to see if that helps. If the weather isn't cooperating, time in a sunny window sill might be helpful. If he perks up with sunlight, then the lighting may be the issue.

Which eye drops are you offering him? You might also try applying some raw/unpasteurized honey to his eyes which has been known to help with eye infections. If his eyes don't start clearing up soon, a vet visit may be a good idea.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would recommend getting rid of the coil ---- and getting Reptisun 10.0 either the T 5 or a T 8 -- or you can look at Sunblaster light fixtures and tubes -- the sooner the better
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If hes rubbing them it might be an indication that there is stuff in his eyes. Is it both eyes?

What substrate are you using?

The eye rinses should help. Do they seem to give him any relief?

-Brandon

Sydney00720

Original Poster
CooperDragon":52ju5yss said:
Have you seen any discharge or crusty buildup around his eyes? That may indicate infection. It's possibly lighting related but not necessarily. Is the weather nice enough to take him outside? You might try giving him some time in natural sunlight to see if that helps. If the weather isn't cooperating, time in a sunny window sill might be helpful. If he perks up with sunlight, then the lighting may be the issue.

Which eye drops are you offering him? You might also try applying some raw/unpasteurizedd honey to his eyes which has been known to help with eye infections. If his eyes don't start clearing up soon, a vet visit may be a good idea.

One day there was a little bit of discharge. But none since then. That was maybe the 4th day he had them closed. At the moment it's in the 50s rn ( im from missouri). I have tried the honey and it didn't seem to help. I'm using flukers repta rinse reptile eye rinse.

Sydney00720

Original Poster
KarrieRee":f79zbdsi said:
I would recommend getting rid of the coil ---- and getting Reptisun 10.0 either the T 5 or a T 8 -- or you can look at Sunblaster light fixtures and tubes -- the sooner the better
Karrie

I planned on getting a new one sometime this week before it ends. I have a 40 gallon tank and I always worry about if he gets enough uvb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not w/ the coil and they have been known to cause eye issues -- that is why I said to get it replaced-- w/ your 40 gallon tank you can get the T 5 and place it on top of your screen
Karrie

Sydney00720

Original Poster
claudiusx":129zogwr said:
If hes rubbing them it might be an indication that there is stuff in his eyes. Is it both eyes?

What substrate are you using?

The eye rinses should help. Do they seem to give him any relief?

-Brandon
It is both eyes and he does seem to have some relief. He hasn't been rubbing his head anymore so far. Its flukers repta rinse

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry I was asking what substrate you use. Such as sand or tile or repticarpet

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok great! Was just trying to rule out any possible substrate or sand in the eyes :)

I know you already gave us details on your lighting, but could you perhaps post a picture of the setup so we could see it? The coils did tend to cause eye issues a few years back but that issue was remedied more or less. Now they would only theoretically cause eye issues if they were too close or the dragon was making direct line of sight with it.
Still, they aren't sufficient for dragons so changing it out is still the best idea :)

-Brandon

Sydney00720

Original Poster
claudiusx":3de50rzv said:
Ok great! Was just trying to rule out any possible substrate or sand in the eyes :)

I know you already gave us details on your lighting, but could you perhaps post a picture of the setup so we could see it? The coils did tend to cause eye issues a few years back but that issue was remedied more or less. Now they would only theoretically cause eye issues if they were too close or the dragon was making direct line of sight with it.
Still, they aren't sufficient for dragons so changing it out is still the best idea :)

-Brandon
Idk how to add a picture of his tank. Sorry I'm new ? im trying to figure it out

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/click on XIMG at top of message box - click on pic and it should post--- unless Brandon says otherwise I would stop using the coil and use outside sunshine for 15 minutes till you can get it replaced--you can use a plastic tote w/ no lid and set him in direct sunshine - no glass it gets too hot
Karrie

Sydney00720

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2rw1nn1n said:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/click on XIMG at top of message box - click on pic and it should post--- unless Brandon says otherwise I would stop using the coil and use outside sunshine for 15 minutes till you can get it replaced--you can use a plastic tote w/ no lid and set him in direct sunshine - no glass it gets too hot
Karrie
It won't let me upload. I click on it and Idk how to add more pictures

Sydney00720

Original Poster
Sydney00720":27ccai7u said:
claudiusx":27ccai7u said:

-Brandon
Idk how to add a picture of his tank. Sorry I'm new ? im trying to figure it out

I figured it out!! Here you go. Sorry it took so long
106262-2550462624.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom