Odd Poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Figment didn’t eat a lot last night... a few slices of carrot and maybe 6 crickets. This morning’s poo was a “log” of white urates in a small puddle of clear liquid, with a very tiny bit of fecal matter. Wish I’d thought to photograph it. Should I worry?

Basking area is 105, and he seems to spend 90% of his time there. It’s a 75 watt bulb. Thinking of putting in a higher wattage to get the tank itself a little warmer; cool side is only 75.

-Chris

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hes hydrated which is good - I would not worry --- the cool side could be a little warmer like 80 and around 70 at nite - you dont want to cook him on his basking side - no temp higher that 110- you can try a higher wattage just make sure you watch temp-- I would try a 100 and see what it does-- or raise the basking spot if you can ---
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1k1z78ek said:
Hes hydrated which is good - I would not worry --- the cool side could be a little warmer like 80 and around 70 at nite - you dont want to cook him on his basking side - no temp higher that 110- you can try a higher wattage just make sure you watch temp-- I would try a 100 and see what it does-- or raise the basking spot if you can -

Thanks, Karrie- I was wondering about his hydration, so your comment is a relief to me. The basking spot is about as high as I can get it; I’ll try to post a pic of his hab later. I think I have a 100 with some life left in it, so I may try that.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":2sqii66e said:
ComicBookMama":2sqii66e said:
This morning’s poo was a “log” of white urates
Possibly too much calcium? :dontknow: I'm not implying/suggesting--I'm asking.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm dusting too heavily? Not sure. Should crickets look like powdered jelly donuts when you're done dusting them? Not trying to make a joke, I'm just trying to get a comparison going.

And there's what his hab looks like. It's a bit bare right now, as I just cleaned it and took out the two hides... but will post on that later. His basking branch brings him right up near the basking lamp.

full

full

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If the urates are pure white you are fine. Over dusting typically causes off white urates such as yellow or brown. :)

Remember, they can have odd poo's just like we can. It doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong :)
I wouldn't worry about it.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
ComicBookMama":lu913twt said:
Should crickets look like powdered jelly donuts when you're done dusting them?
Well, I've seen jelly donuts, and I've seen jelly donuts, if you catch my drift...
The whole calcium-D3-UVB thing seems to me like a (delicate?) balancing act. Unassimilated calcium (I've recently read) passes through. Is it unassimilated because there's too much calcium or because one of the other factors is out of whack? Again, :dontknow:

Again, I'm not suggesting anything's wrong; I'm just curious about the (seemingly) excess urate you mentioned. Maybe it has nothing to do with calcium, and has a completely different cause?

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":16wdnynb said:
If the urates are pure white you are fine. Over dusting typically causes off white urates such as yellow or brown. :)

Remember, they can have odd poo's just like we can. It doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong :)
I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks so much! Definitely no yellow or brown urates in the time I've had him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom