Post parasite meds..lost all interest in food!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rauka

I have a 4 month old beardie, she used to eat tons of crickets and worms then her poo was all runny so i took her to the vet and found out she had lot of parasites. The vet prescribed panacur and I sid 7 days of that, then the problem started.

She turns her nose up and crickets now, wont hunt them or eat hand fed, same with worms. I brought her into the vet on Tuesday and was told to syringe feed critical care mix to boost her recovery. She still hasnt eaten live feeders, and still shows zero interest (she used to go nuts when I put the cricket container next to her). I'm just really afraid she hates me now, and all this syringe feeding stresses her out. I don't know what I can do to get her to eat like she used to and everytime I have to hold her to force feed I'm afraid I'm going to hurt her.

She basks a LOT...and ignores when it's feeding time, seems to lay around a lot and was leaning against her rock with her arms down by her side. I can take her out and she'll be interested in the area and run around, ao she seems alert. Temps are 105 to 110F and 80F on cool side, UVB is Reptisun 10 T5 with the mesh cutout so its unobstructed. I have a follow up appointment tomorrow.

I've only had her for 2 months, but she loves to cuddle before lights out and always snuggle wiggles to me, so I'm hoping someone has ideas, as I'd hate to keep syringe feeding, thanks for any advice.

- Concerned Dragon Dad

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

How old is your girl?

A lot of times, parasite meds upset their stomachs. It would be a good idea to try some probiotics. You could try non dairy soy yogurt, or another probiotic supplement.

How long has it been since she finished the meds?
Has she lost any weight?
Force feeding really does stress them out, I don't recommend it unless it's desperately needed. If you just drip the CC on her nose will she lick it? That's much less stressful than force feeding.
Do you have a picture of her we could see?

-Brandon

Rauka

Original Poster
She's probably about 5 to 6 months old at this point. I did give her a little soy yogurt on the weekend, but replaced that with the critical care the vet gave me, trying to limit the syringe feeding. She'll still be active and jump around outside her viv.

About a week since meds, losing a little weight, definitely doesn't lick it off her nose :/

She pooped yesterday though..it was solid and a little urate, was white. Here are some pics, she was soo teeny at first :)

full

full

quote="claudiusx"]Hi there,

How old is your girl?

A lot of times, parasite meds upset their stomachs. It would be a good idea to try some probiotics. You could try non dairy soy yogurt, or another probiotic supplement.

How long has it been since she finished the meds?
Has she lost any weight?
Force feeding really does stress them out, I don't recommend it unless it's desperately needed. If you just drip the CC on her nose will she lick it? That's much less stressful than force feeding.
Do you have a picture of her we could see?

-Brandon[/quote]

Rauka

Original Poster
Here's another pic. She'll be here for most of the day, tried to feed her just now and again just ignoring food :/ I'm at a loss here

full

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

In the pictures she looks alert which is great. And she doesn't look too skinny either.

Personally I'd hold off on the force feeding and just keep offering her real food, until it seemed like she was starting to lose too much or act lethargic. But that's just me and others might have a different opinion.
The fact that she still is decently active is a good sign.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Was she eating well before going on the meds. ? She is prob. not feeling well as you mentioned from meds. + stress of force feeding. I agree with Brandon, just let her be and her appetite will return. She may not even have needed a deworming if the parasite count was low to begin with. But she should bounce back soon, just be patient. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom