Freaking out and climbing/scratching at background

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsport10

Hi all!
So recently (within the past few weeks after moving back to college), my bearded buddy (his name is Ozzie) started running back and forth scratching at the background of his tank. Most of the time it looks like he is trying to climb the fake tree that is part of the scenery. However, today I looked over and he completely spazzed out and rammed his head super hard into the glass and was running back and forth super quick. Then he stopped and I took him out for a while.

I am very concerned that there is something I'm doing wrong or something is wrong with him. Please help!

His basking spot hovers around 98 to 100F. Diet consisting of crickets and greens/veggies. He has plenty of light and cooler spots in the tank. Also there are things he can climb on, but he chooses the background.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi! You might have to ditch the background for something neutral. Also, is it possible that he can see his reflection because of the angle of the lighting or something upsetting in the room like a fan? That could be freaking him out.

Can you post more about his lighting situation? It could be that something about that isn't to his liking. Does he have a hide where he can go if he's stressing out?

djsport10

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.
I'm pretty sure it's not his reflection.

So you think it could be the ceiling fan? Is that a common thing to stress them out?
And on the stressing note, he isn't turning dark or exhibiting any other stress signs, just climbing at his background.

His lighting is a 100W heat bulb with a T5 reptisun UVB bulb (the ones that were suggested on the guides from this site). I recently got him a hammock and that is now his basking spot.

Also, I have been meaning to get him a bigger hiding spot, because the one right now is a bit too small for him to crawl into. So you think that could be an issue too?

Thanks!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Size of enclosure? If he's outgrown it, or isn't "getting out & about" like he used to, it could be stressing him (it sounds like something is).

Do I understand that you have him at school with you? Any different environmental factors (loud music, vibration, smells, etc.)?

I don't know if/that it's common, but the fan could be a factor. Not being able to get away from that T5 could also be a factor.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Where is the T 5 ? in the tank or on top of screen mesh? Is it running the full length of tank?
Karrie

djsport10

Original Poster
The T5 is right at the top left hanging on the back of the cage.
It is a 40gal normal pet store tank.

I will post a picture of the tank when I get a chance so you can see instead of playing this describing game.

Yes, he is at school with me. It is a bit more crowded in the room, but nothing that would be extremely out of the ordinary.

Thanks!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
OK, 40 gal for an adult BD is--IMO--too small. 75-120g is recommended by most sources I've read/seen.

djsport10":2ogm7iq3 said:
Yes, he is at school with me. It is a bit more crowded in the room, but nothing that would be extremely out of the ordinary.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but extremely out of the ordinary for whom? It's just that when I was in school (admittedly probably before your parents were born :oops: ) college rooms were about as far from ordinary as... I'm blanking at the moment. :oops: Loud stereos, heavy partying, funny smells/odors (incense and the other stuff), baking/cooking odors from the lounge, flashing lights, general steam letting-off, and more. And you did mention a ceiling fan. :wink:

As the adage goes (or went), "There's a time and place for everything, and it's called college." Maybe things have changed(?) :roll:

Can Ozzie get away from that powerful UV if he wants to?

This might just take some more detective work.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
djsport10":2vgflmce said:
Thanks for the reply.
I'm pretty sure it's not his reflection.

So you think it could be the ceiling fan? Is that a common thing to stress them out?
And on the stressing note, he isn't turning dark or exhibiting any other stress signs, just climbing at his background.

His lighting is a 100W heat bulb with a T5 reptisun UVB bulb (the ones that were suggested on the guides from this site). I recently got him a hammock and that is now his basking spot.

Also, I have been meaning to get him a bigger hiding spot, because the one right now is a bit too small for him to crawl into. So you think that could be an issue too?

Thanks!

I've read on the forum about ceiling fans freaking out beardies. They probably sense movement from above and think it's a predator. Since this is going to be part forensic and part guesswork getting into the mind of your little friend, I'd say to maybe find an old shoebox, cut a hole in it where he can get in & out, and see if he starts hiding in it. If so, that might be a clue that something environmental is causing him distress. Also, do you interact with him as much now as before college? Maybe he's just missing face time with you?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a ceiling fan in my LR and it does not bother hiccup-- the birds outside in the front yard tend to freak him out sometimes
Karrie

djsport10

Original Poster
All,
Thank you for the suggestions!
I will try turning off the fan and see how that goes.
I am also going to get him a larger hiding spot to see if he takes to it. (I didn't realize that they really would want to get away from the UV some times.)

Here are a few pictures of my setup(see bottom). I do not plan on getting a bigger tank anytime soon because he is only 8-9 months old still. So I've got some time :) .

Do not fear, I do still spend time with him. Actually a lot more than when I first got him because I was at work all day before I came home to see him. Now I am back between gaps in my classes and take him out more often and let him outside every day (He loves it BTW).

As far as the college situation goes, I am renting a house with some other good friends. It isn't dorm life (Thank God!). So that's what I meant by no major changes except the location.

I also forgot to mention that He seems perfectly fine past about 1 or 2 in the afternoon. He calms down and just acts normal for the rest of the day. But the next mid morning, he is back at it again.
103377-8738976745.jpg
103377-3749082713.jpg
103377-9487205231.jpg

ksk810

Did you get this figured out? I have the exact same background and mine does the same thing. I got the background over two months ago so I feel like he should know by now that it isn't real, but he still tries to climb it. Should I take it out?

djsport10

Original Poster
So, Ozzie still seems to do it on the regular. However, it looks ike it is just a mid morning thing. By the afternoon he calms down. I have just chalked it up to too much energy in the morning and try to let him out to run around when I notice him doing it. What's strange is when I take him out, after a while he runs back to the cage and tries to get back in...lol. I can't seem to understand these creatures. I've just let him do it. He doesn't seem to be hurting himself. If he starts getting hurt, I'll start worrying.

ksk810

Benny also seems to do it more in the morning. So weird! And then he settles down and basks. And, like Ozzie, when I get him out he seems much less interested in running around. :lol: But he's also not hurting himself so I'll just take your lead and not worry about it unless something changes. Thank you!

Peach

Hatchling Member
Does he poop anytime close to these running around episodes? Bleu will get times when he does this too and it is always a sign that poop is coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom