Not wanting to bask.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Rex is two and half now. Healthy diet lots of organic dandelion, collard, turnip greens, butternut, little bit zucchini/yellow squash daily loves his greens, sprinkle Repashy Calcium + daily and a few times a week BeneBac+ probiotic. Large dubia about 2-3 every other day or two days gets same diet as Rex. One superworm 1x a week. Change Reptisun tube UV every Spring and fall, have two digital thermometers 101ish in basking and high 70s in cool area, has appropriate hide 40g tank plenty of time outside daily to run. Poops daily or every other looks good but the past few weeks as summer is ending he has been spending most of day on his small branch or on hide in cooler area. Eating and pooping ok but not his insane enthusiasm (he used to demolish an entire bowl of greens most days). Am I being overly worried? He used to run to basking after waking but even if I move him he moves back to cool area after a few minutes.
91196-2653848501.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

He could simply just be starting to slow down, and possibly enter brumation.

His setup sounds fine. And his diet seems great! Although you could probably cut back on the frequency of the calcium powder. How do his urates look? Pure white?

How close is his reptisun to the basking site?

Have you weighed him to track his weight? It would be a good idea. If he is starting to brumate he really shouldn't lose too much weight during it.

In the picture he looks healthy and alert... albeit a bit chunky! :lol:
He definitely has the stores on him to lose a little weight if that happens.

-Brandon

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I forgot to mention we adopted him last November. He has regular reptile vet visits too. I am a freak with weighing him he gets a weight usually 2x a month his weight is 730g actually up a bit from mid to high 650ish last year. His unrated look white lots of liquid always because he eats so much greens. I cut back his dubia this summer but his weight hasn’t budged too much. His Reptisun is about 8 inches...I dropped the hammock from 6 to 8 inches bc he curls his tail sometimes and needed to prevent tail burn risk. Should I cut calcium to every other day or maybe just cut it out on weekend?

claudiusx":2wxbdibb said:
Hi there,

He could simply just be starting to slow down, and possibly enter brumation.

His setup sounds fine. And his diet seems great! Although you could probably cut back on the frequency of the calcium powder. How do his urates look? Pure white?

How close is his reptisun to the basking site?

Have you weighed him to track his weight? It would be a good idea. If he is starting to brumate he really shouldn't lose too much weight during it.

In the picture he looks healthy and alert... albeit a bit chunky! :lol:
He definitely has the stores on him to lose a little weight if that happens.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok great!

Is the reptisun mounted inside the tank or on top. It looks like its just out of view in the picture.

Yeah 700+ is big boy territory! Haha.

I would cut calcium down to 3x a week.

-Brandon

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It is on top
T5 22 inches
He is a big boy but very sweet and loves his greens

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok good. It being a t5 it will do fine at that distance on top of the screen :)

Everything sounds good to me :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom