Black bearded dragons...help please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
105896-4836989283.jpg
I need some help with my bearded dragons please. No matter what I do I cant seem to get it right. They are both 7 in separate tanks. They are just getting darker and darker they look awful they wont bask. They just stay in their hide. I'm really concerned for their welfare and I dont know who to speak to can someone help me please?
Thanks Dawn.
105896-8329424779.jpg
105896-9854435729.jpg
105896-1236726502.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Is there only 1 dragon or two? I see only the one in the picture and he doesn't really look like he's black bearding or anything. Coloration looks normal.

It looks like you have a thermostat setup. Is this a dimming thermostat or an on/off thermostat?

27c is good for the cool end. 29 is a little higher than preferred but if it's not constant and only occasionally it really shouldn't cause any issues.

How long have they been in your care? Do you have a history on them at all?

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First off if that is sand I would get them off that - you can use textured non adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot easy to clean w/ vinegar / water 50/50 in spray bottle and insects cant get underneath- the enclosure looks very low - beardies like to climb anyway of raising the enclosure height wise -- what are you using for a UVB bulb - if they are both black bearding I would say it has something to do w/ the lighting -- what are their basking temps and how are you taking them ? infrared heat gun? digital probe? stick ons? Next I would get them off the floor - dragons like to see what is going on around them being on the floor doesnt really give them opportunity to do that -- next I would get them some more decor for them to be able to climb - but first in order to do that I would think raising the top of the enclosure would be good - the basking bulb looks very close to where one is sitting just my thoughts
Karrie

Ziggynfroddo

Original Poster
Hi Brandon,

I have 2 they do look similar in the photos. Ziggy is always a little dark but frodo has been lighter. I have an on off thermostat with a ceramic heat emitter. I have the basking temp set at 38 and the cool end around 27.

They were kept together for 7 years I have separated them now. I took them too the vets she said they were in good health when I got them. That's about all I know,
Thanks,
Dawn.

Ziggynfroddo

Original Poster
Hi Karrie,
I will get some repti carpet I have been meaning to do that actually. I dont think I would be able to raise the height of the tank although will be moving soon and will be able to get bigger vivs. I can raise the basking light no problem. I am using a 12% uvb long bulb along the top length of the viv. I am using probe thermometers. The basking temp is set at 38. They viv has always been on the floor I like them to be able to get out easily but I may order stands with the next vivs I buy.
Thanks,
Dawn.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So they cant escape the UVB unless they go into their hides? It is good not to have the UVB the whole length of their enclosures unless its wide enough for them to be able to get out of it - recommended length is at most 2/3 of tank -- this could be a reason for the hiding--- also what brand and bulb are you using for UVB?
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Dawn,

It really would be better to have a dimming thermostat control a bright light basking bulb. The on/off cycle isnt very natural for them. And ideally you should use a heat bulb that also produces light.

So I'd recommend switching to a basking bulb that also produces light, and either getting a dimming thermostat, or not using a thermostat at all and just finding a wattage that works for you.

Are you worried about anything else in regards to them or is it mainly the color. Because like I said, to me there colors look fine :)
I might have missed it but how long have you had them now? If only recently, even older dragons can go through relocation stress.
It might be a good idea to weigh them so you can track it and make sure they aren't losing too much weight.
Will they eat at all for you?

-Brandon

Ziggynfroddo

Original Poster
Hi Karrie,
I didnt know that I will adjust that for sure and they are arcadia t5 12%
Really appreciate all your help on this,
Thanks,
Dawn.

Ziggynfroddo

Original Poster
Hi Brandon,

I will try and play around with some different watt bulbs and see how they get it's something I have been weighing up actually.

Yes it is their colour and that they dont seem to want to bask hopefully the light will help with that.

Yeah they eat they have salad everyday, locusts twice a week and wax worms once a fortnight.

I've had them a couple of months now but have constantly been adjusting things so I have been hoping it's a bit of relocation stress.

I just love them and want them to be happy ?

Really appreciate all your help.
Thanks,
Dawn.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's a possibility that they might not be basking simply because they are not seeing the basking light, or not sensing the heat because it turns on and off. So I think the easiest thing you could do for now is try a regular bulb and see :)

Sometimes you just gotta take it 1 step at a time and see what works.
Keep us updated :)

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The dragons look normal to me, not too dark and not unhealthy. :) Are they in new enclosures ? You do need to readjust the basking light, the dragon can get within 6" of it and that is not a good way for them to bask. Raise the heat lamp way up, at least a foot away and use a dome that lets the light shine out in a larger area. If you need a different bulb that's O.K. They also like more stuff to climb on generally, so add a decent log or decoration from a store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom