Baby Beardie Extremely Lethargic/Shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerBlue

I've had my baby for almost two months now. He is 6.5 inches long. His tail has been in shed for a while now, but recently it started peeling. He has become extremely lethargic in the past few days and went two days without eating a thing a couple days ago. He ate two crickets dusted with calcium yesterday, but has not eaten since. He is my first beardie and I'm really scared he may be sick. Does this sound like shedding, brumation, or something abnormal?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of the tank and lighting --- it is extremely important that the lighting is correct--- what are his basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are horribly inaccurate -
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and post pics
Karrie

TylerBlue

Original Poster
His basking temps are typically between 93 and 105 degrees. Though, he has not been in the basking area in the past few days other than when I've put him there. Is it a good idea to make him bask or is it better to let him do his own thing. Also, I have a Reptisun 10 coil. I know this isn't ideal, but we can't afford to change it until later this month at the earliest. The basking light is a 75 watt Exo Terra. I tried to post a picture of his setup, which it said uploaded, but I don't know where to go to find it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
As soon as you click on XIMG on top of the message box it should pop up (the pics) the coil is what I am guessing is the culprit for not eating - basking temps should be 105-110 get those raised - either the basking spot or higher bulb but whatever you do make sure your getting that temp w/ a digital probe or infrared heat gun--- I was gonna say relocation stress about not eating but its been too long for that now -- its the lighting in the tank and basking temps-- those are crucial for a healthy dragon --
Here is some info on the UVB you need
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- this he needs right away -- hes not eating now and by the end of the month he may not be alive-- what size tank do you have ? here is what you need -- or look at getting --- you can try your local petstores - they also come in the T 8 light fixture and bulb -- the T 5 is the stronger bulb
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html---
Karrie

TylerBlue

Original Poster
105123-7578508910.jpg
This is his current setup. He has been totally fine up until now. Are you sure these effects couldn't just be from shedding?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Shedding will have some effects on him but not completely quit eating- also hes basically getting no UVB --- so he will not eat until he has UVB -- If its warm and sunny outside where you are I would get him outside and sit in the sun directly for about 15 minutes that will equal to around 4 hrs of UVB but you need a UVB asap - your tank looks bare -- I would look at getting him more decor to sit on and a big hide - when buying decor think big!!!!!!!!!!!!! Petsmart has some really nice decor for dragons but they are spendy--- please get a UVB --- your little one will not live w/ out it and he is getting sicker by the minute w/ out -- a day or two is fine but weeks not happening!!
Karrie

TylerBlue

Original Poster
KarrieRee":37b8u4dj said:
Shedding will have some effects on him but not completely quit eating- also hes basically getting no UVB --- so he will not eat until he has UVB -- If its warm and sunny outside where you are I would get him outside and sit in the sun directly for about 15 minutes that will equal to around 4 hrs of UVB but you need a UVB asap - your tank looks bare -- I would look at getting him more decor to sit on and a big hide - when buying decor think big!!!!!!!!!!!!! Petsmart has some really nice decor for dragons but they are spendy--- please get a UVB --- your little one will not live w/ out it and he is getting sicker by the minute w/ out -- a day or two is fine but weeks not happening!!
Karrie

I will look into options for getting a UVB tube for him. Is opening the curtain behind his tank helping or hurting him? I will also look into getting a hide. The log under his lights has places he could fit into, but he never goes in there like I thought he would. In the meantime I will definitely take him into the porch with me to get some unfiltered sunlight.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its not hurting him but hes getting filtered sunlight so its not really doing any good either - the best is direct --- he will eventually use the hide but for now he needs UVB --- and warmer basking temps
Karrie

TylerBlue

Original Poster
Thanks to my grandmother, we will be able to replace the UVB bulb with a tube by the end of the week. I took him outside earlier to get some sun and he perked right up, though went immediately back to sleep when he went back in his tank. Thank you for your advice. I hope it works.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the basking temps how are you taking them? You need to get a digital probe - you can get one from Petsmart for around $5--- make sure you get one --- you need to get an accurate basking temp meaning you need to take the digital probe and set it on his spot where he basks -- leave for 10 minutes and get temp - you want his temp around 105-110--- stick ons do not work only for ambient temps --- his cool side of the tank should be around 80 during the day at not below 65 at nite -- if you arent getting enough heat from the bulb you can either move the decor hes sitting on higher or get a higher wattage bulb --- but you must get a accurate temp before doing anything first ---
Karrie

TylerBlue

Original Poster
KarrieRee":gl8nhjjb said:
Ok so the basking temps how are you taking them? You need to get a digital probe - you can get one from Petsmart for around $5--- make sure you get one --- you need to get an accurate basking temp meaning you need to take the digital probe and set it on his spot where he basks -- leave for 10 minutes and get temp - you want his temp around 105-110--- stick ons do not work only for ambient temps --- his cool side of the tank should be around 80 during the day at not below 65 at nite -- if you arent getting enough heat from the bulb you can either move the decor hes sitting on higher or get a higher wattage bulb --- but you must get a accurate temp before doing anything first ---
Karrie
I have a digital probe thermometer that I leave in the tank. In the past few days he has not basked at all, though, whereas normally he is almost always on his basking site.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So take the temp babies like temps warmer -- you want it 105-110-- --- do you still have the coil UVB in the dome? If you do take it out and see what he does --- it could be the coil causing him not to bask - but I want to see what he does w/ it out --
Karrie

TylerBlue

Original Poster
105123-5742435194.jpg
Pay no attention to the heat mat under the vitamin box. I know they are dangerous and I have no intention of using it. They cannot be used with aquariums anyway, which is what I have. (My other grandma went out and got a bunch of reptile things without quite knowing what I needed. My question is, do you think the vitamin supplement could be useful to my dragon right now? It has vitamins A, B, C, and D in it according to the box. As I said, we're going to replace the UVB coil with a tube ASAP.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
With the new UVB it may bounce him back some-- the bugs are you dusting them w/ calcium D3 ? If so continue on w/ that 5 x per week - and vitamins 2 x per week --- what bugs are you feeding him- is he eating at all ? The liquid calcium needs to be answered by a more experienced person on here w/ that - as far dosage and how often to give --- or even to give at all ---
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Did you end up getting your uvb changed?

That's great that you have a digital with probe end when you place the probe on his basking area under his light, what does it read? I only ask for clarification because you gave quite a wide range earlier and it really shouldn't have that big of a temp difference.

Since you've had him for 2 months already, he really should have grown more with you. What do you typically feed him and how often. Or has he never been a good eater? Babies should be getting live food 2 or 3 times a day, and allowed to eat as much as they want in each of those feedings. This can easily equal up to and over 30 crickets a day. It's not uncommon for them to eat double that at times.

If your temps are good, and your uv light is good, he should regain his appetite and start eating for you. From there things should get better.

But the most important thing now is nailing down your husbandry, and getting him eating.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom