Loose Stools and a Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
On Saturday, I bought my Beardie at a pet store that has a 30 day health guarantee - if your animal gets sick in the first 30 days, you can bring it back to the store and they'll see to its vet care. Figment has had loose stools all week, though he's eating and basking well and dashes all over the tank after his crickets. I'm inclined to think that the "runs" are a result of parasite load... possibly coccidia. :(

So I called the pet store today, and they said sure, they'd take back him for vet treatment... but I'd have to return him so that the store was legally responsible for any bills he incurred. After he was treated, I could purchase him back. Needless to say, I'm a bit wary of this... I can't say why, it's just my gut instinct.

I do have a vet who treats herps nearby, but my DH is of the mind that if the pet store is responsible for Figment's ill health, they should pay for his treatment. He's leaning on me to go the pet store route. I'm perfectly happy to bring him to the vet myself, but am a bit daunted by the possible treatment if it is coccidia.

I'd post a pic of his poops, but he's been pooping on his basking branch and it kinda runs down the limb or pools in the crook of two branches. No overt stink - just usual reptile smell.

My question... I know that most pet store dragons carry parasites. I didn't see evidence of loose stools at the store, or I would have thought twice about bringing Figment home - the cage had just been cleaned, is my guess - and his vent was, and is, clean. Could the runs be a side effect of settling into a new hab? Should I wait a bit and see if they firm up, or should I get him to a vet ASAP? And what would you do, regarding the pet store situation? I'm really torn here.

Anyhoo, here are some new pics of Figment.

full

full

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since they are treated as property (in the eyes of the law anyway), I advise against returning him to the store. That would take away your rights toward him. If he needs vet care I would maintain ownership and try to get them to reimburse you perhaps. That said, he may not need to go to a vet. He may just need time to settle in to his new home. It can take a few weeks for them to settle in and get used to a routine. If the poops are still messy after a few weeks, I'd have a sample checked by a vet. Low levels of parasites are not usually harmful to them and if it's just stress or dietary adjustments the issue should resolve on its own.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Agreed with cooper.

Remember relocation stress can last for a couple weeks. And stress in particular seems to really affect these guys stools.
That and the fact hes probably eating more and better then at the store, his system might not have caught up yet.

Additionally, many dragons do have parasites, but they are non-symptomatic when the dragon is healthy and the immune system keeps their numbers at bay. In times of stress the counts can rise. So I generally recommend waiting at least a month before checking for parasites. No harm will come in a month of waiting, and it gives them a chance to settle things out on their own.

I would not be returning home at all. Just give him a bit more time :)

-Brandon

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks, guys... I don't know what I'd do without this forum to help alleviate my new-owner jitters!

~Chris

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I third the advice. Just wanted to add that he's actually doing better than some new dragons by your description of his activity + appetite. :) So just be patient. And don't be discouraged if he DOES have parasites when you do get him tested,[ you can wait a month or so to let him settle in, or even longer ] Even good breeders have parasites in their stock at times, it comes with the territory because of feeding them insects . He looks good though !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom