Egg laying

Status
Not open for further replies.

tutudoc1

Hi. My daughter's 3 year old beardie laid more than 30 eggs 2 weeks ago. The shocking thing was that I'd taken her to a reptile vet 1 week prior because she wasn't eating or pooping and we thought she might be impacted. The vet not only didn't think she was impacted, but she also didn't feel much in her belly (even though I'd told her I felt a couple marbles). We were traveling with the creature at the time and she laid the eggs once home. She has continued to have stress lines the last 2 weeks, but is eating normally and pooping fine. Tonight, she started laying eggs again! So far, she's laid 2, but she looks like she's not done. The people who owned her before us said that she'd laid eggs once 2 years ago, but she had only laid around 5 eggs. We've read online that they will usually lay 10-20. Most of what I find about eggs is regarding breeding and husbandry. Questions:
1) is it common for them to lay eggs and then lay more only 2 weeks later?
2) should I take her to the vet?
3) could this be egg binding resolving itself?
4) is it okay to remove the eggs after she's buried them in the sand?
5) anyone with similar experiences?
She's solitary. Her habitat is adequate according to all we've read with sufficient space and temperatures. She gets greens every morning and crickets, grasshoppers, or meal worms at night. She usually poops 2-3 times per week, and she gets activity around the house. She is currently shedding.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I doesn't seem to be unusual for them to lay large clutches back to back like that. It can be fairly stressful on their systems though. Do be sure she is getting plenty of water and calcium rich foods like dark greens (collards, turnip greens etc) and maybe some black soldier fly larvae. If she starts to act really lethargic you may want to bring her to the vet for an ultrasound to try and locate any remaining eggs but I'd probably hold off for now unless your vet has good experience working with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom