Meet Kadia

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So yesterday my husband and I went to the cities to get a rehome baby dragon- the girl that had her was just litterly given to her from Petsmart - she had not sold and gotten to big for the tank - she took her home I do not know how long she has had her but she told me she was almost a year old ??????????? To me she looks 5 months old - I forgot to ask her if she had shedded at all in the time she had taken her --- when we were bringing her home she sat on my husbands chest the whole way soaking in the indirect sunlight - it took us two hrs to get home -- to me she was acting very lethargic - to be honest I didnt know if she was going to make it thru the nite- when we got home I put her under her lights for about 2 hrs --- changing out the Zoo Med Reptisun coil 13 watt--- I suspect it is because she has had inadequate UVB for I dont know how long--- at 2 AM I got up to check on her and she was still sleeping in the position I had seen her when shutting the lights off- this morning she was flat on the tile sleeping - I cleaned out her tank as it stunk so bad - replaced the carpet piece thats in there and washed the tile down w/ vinegar/ water etc........ all the decor--- I tried feeding her the smallest roaches I had but I think they are too big 1 hornworm and 3 butter worms of which she tried to eat would chew as if tasting them letting them drop out of her mouth - I dont know if she likes them or what ? Today I am going to pick up some crickets her size - I dont have my cricket keeper anymore so I am wondering if I can keep them in the 10 gallon tank w/ the roaches? For now as I am planing to get roaches her size - I found little tiny one in Hiccups tank retrieved it and put it in the food bowl and she ate it :) -- she acts like she wants to eat but ???????? I took her out of the food bowl as she was sleeping in it and put her on her basking log - as you can see that is where she is at -- please any advice would be great - I am still working and watching the basking temp - she has a 75 watt on her now and I have a brand new T 8 over her approx 8 inches from basking platform- for now she is in a 20 gallon long and I have a Zen Habitat coming - it will be here about mid Sept- at first when the owner told me she was 6-8 months old but upon picking her up she said she was almost a year--- mmmmm yea right -- if she is that old she is way undernourished and under UVB'd ! She said she was eating vegies so I have fed her those here today too but she has not touched them - I am trying to figure out how to keep crickets till I get some smaller dubias as they wont be here till around Thurs if I order them today -- I have also contacted a girl in St Cloud that might have some-- please give me any advice as what to do w/ her ? I think she is a she -- havent looked yet and I dont know if I will be able to tell - she also seems to have one of her nostrils covered or closed up and I am thinking it might be some shed --- we tried a soft tooth brush this morning but it didnt do anything - I dont really want to put her in water just yet and try w/ warm water since she just got here and shes not shedding anywhere at this time -- also is she going to be a regular colored dragon? I am thinking she is - no fancy coloring they call it ---
97951-6562587004.jpg
97951-4931149650.jpg
97951-3401592854.jpg
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor girl she does look not so great!

It sounds like you're doing everything right karrie! The letting the food drop could have just been the size, or the effort involved in chewing. She could be that weak.

Hopefully the small crickets will help. The best thing to do would be to get her eating. but remember, dont overdo it at first. Shes likely been starved for a long time. You dont want to overtax her system by giving her tons of food. 3 or so small feedings a day will be fine. Make sure they are small amounts for the first few days. Then you can slowly build up the amount. A few small feedings are better than 1 large in this case.

As far as the crickets, I wouldn't keep them with the dubias. Of you have a home depot around they usually sell their 5g buckets for like 5 bucks. That would work well.

How did you find out about this girl? That's quite the drive.

Good luck Karrie!

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I joined a group called MN Reptiles its a closed group and they have reptile rehomes - I was looking for a rehome - I think she was basically a rescue- but I will get some small crickets today and go from there -- how old do you think she is ? Any guess ??? I am going to weigh and measure her so I will post that here later--------- do you think I should get some Repeshy to feed her from the Petstore today -- I am going there - or baby food or what ? I am afraid to get crickets and have her not go after them to eat -- she is weak --- I still have herbivore in the house as well ---
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If she will eat the live food that's great. You can try the baby food drips on the snout too. The key is just dont over tax her system. Let her build back up for a few days.

If shes willing to eat there is no need to force feed.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I agree - small amounts -- I will try and post an update
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Hi Karrie,

I know you're working hard as you can to help her. Kudos. I would just add that reptiles can & do crash; try to be emotionally prepared if you can, and hard as it might be, try not to become too attached until she's over the hump.

Got an appt. to get her in to see a vet yet?

Best wishes & good luck. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Not yet -- but I do have a reptile vet ---- I got her to eat 5 small crickets after trying to feed her some baby food chicken - she was in her salad bowl when I came home dont know if she ate any or not -- I need to know if I should feed her more at a time or another 5 later today - I dusted them w/ calcium powder as well ---
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
5 is a good number. Keep it low like that but multiple feedings a day.

That's great news that she ate!

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ok so I got about 10-11 crickets in her today -- I guess good for a start --- I have ordered some small dubia and BSFL --- I am really wondering about her --- all she has done today is sleep unless I move her from one basking area to another she doesnt really move --- I was surprised to find her in the salad bowl when I got home -- since she is so small is it possible for her to be a year old? I need to get her weighed and measured tomorrow --
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
KarrieRee":20ecusoy said:
I am really wondering about her --- all she has done today is sleep unless I move her from one basking area to another she doesnt really move
Sleep is one of the ways nature heals. It's also the way some animals digest, so that part wouldn't concern me too much in the short run.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I was wondering if it is because she has been/ is so weak - but now I am wondering about her eyes - she keeps them closed all the time - the only time she has them open per say is when she is eating and in the food bowl going after the crickets - they arent watery or anything or swollen - when I put her to bed last nite I had her on her platform under the UVB this morning when I got up she was on the floor of the tank on the tile - sitting up but eyes closed - I moved her to the basking spot under her heat lamp to warm up - I am going to feed her again in about 1 hr I want her to warm up before I feed her - I am hoping she is showing some sort of improvement by the end of the week and that goes for the eye opening deal too - if not I will make an appt w/ the vet for next week -
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sure she is just weak and tired. The fact she is eating is great she should hopefully start getting her energy back soon.

Dont worry, these things take time :)

She didnt get this way over night and shes not gonna recover overnight either. Just keep trying with her :)

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
She seems worse off today - I tried w/ crickets she maybe ate one I dont even know - I tried feeding her the baby food chicken and we got a little down her but I am thinking she is not going to make it - she seems so lifeless - I called the vet and they can take her Wed morning - I am thinking she may not make it till then- :( -- I also syringed her some water as well but she wont even lick the front of her nose to get anything off -- I am feeling so helpless --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom