Not open for further replies.

Fury1212

65431-9939739410.jpg
65431-8876101165.jpg
65431-1028417829.jpg
65431-2466994417.jpg
65431-9121878375.jpg
65431-2659286862.jpg

This is Stripe, he is almost 4. He's been a very active healthy guy. Lately he has seemed to be smaller so we weighed him this week to get a base line and track it. He's 18 inches and 132 grams. He's in a 40gallon tank with Reptisun 10.0 and a 100 watt basking light. I'll check temps tomorrow. Tile substrate.

Today and earlier this week he vomited? Pooped? undigested dubias. He has been eating the pellets, mustard greens and super worms since spring. I finally ordered dubias again and we got those saturday. He's a good eater and a good pooper. He has been waking up and going into his cave first thing in the morning this week but then comes out in the afternoon. His fat deposits on the top of his head seem flat :( He drinks water on his own 1-2x a week. I attached pics of him today, the poop/vomit and him resting tonight after his lights went out. He seems so skinny to me and its worrying us!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah he is pretty underweight I would say.

The fact that you dont know your temps off hand is a bad sign I'm sorry to say. Temperatures are arguably the most important thing for a dragons health. Without proper temperatures digestion will not occur, along with many other health issues.

What do you have to measure temps with? A digital with probe end or a temp gun?

Once you get us those temps we will better be able to help you and your buddy :) if they aren't proper, we gotta get them in range so that he can start digesting his food and absorbing the nutrients he needs.

His tail looks pretty dark in the pictures is it always like that?

-Brandon

Fury1212

Original Poster
You are right, I should have the temp gauge in his tank at all times! After years of it being good I took it out while cleaning and didn’t put it back! It’s a dual probe end one from petsmart. It’s hard to get an accurate basking spot temp considering he sits there most of the day! Unless I put the probe end on his back:)

Fury1212

Original Poster
I forgot to reply about his tail. No it isn’t normally dark, he’s going thru a partial shed and his tail could be next.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is there a reflector on the UVB-? It looks like he cant get underneath it and how old is it? You definetley need to get your basking temps in order and yes he does look thin--- I would get a Infrared heat gun and a digital probe if you dont have one and get a accurate temp of his basking area first then go from there - once you get temps straightened out his poops and eating should pick up as well but if your UVB needs adjusting that will need to be fixed as too --- if the UVB is a T 8 it needs to be 6-8 inches from basking spot and if its a T 5 10-12 inches
Karrie

Fury1212

Original Poster
His basking spot is 119 degrees. Cool Side is 78. Humidity is 30%. Basking spot is 7 inches under the bulb on a hammock. Trying to upload a pic.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That basking spot is way too hot if its correct-----------how are you getting that temp? It needs to be taken w/ a infrared heat gun or a digital probe---------- they are both cheap you can get them at Walmart Home Depot or Lowes for the Infrared heat gun and a digital probe at your pet store - the UVB needs to be where he can sit directly under it so I would move your decor and maybe the light - hes on the floor of the tank so my guess its too hot --- and he looks like he could use a tank upgrade - he looks like he has out grown his tank -- basking temps should be 95-105 -- cool side around 80's during the day and not below 65 at night --- I would get a digital probe set up on the cool side of tank and a Infrared for the basking area - you can use a digital for that as well - its up to you - if you use a digital for basking side set the probe there where he sits for 10 minutes and get your temp
Karrie

Fury1212

Original Poster
Thank you! I do have a digital probe. The probe is on the hammock and the actual temp control box is behind the cave. It’s an indoor outdoor temp gauge. It’s what was recommended to me here when we set up our other dragons tank. He could use an upgrade I’m sure! But that’s not likely to be causing this. I will use a cooler bulb to reduce the temps.

Fury1212

Original Poster
Also he can get to the hammock and does all the time, he either jumps up on it or climbs on the fake tree/limb decor

Fury1212

Original Poster
KarrieRee":28x24p87 said:
the UVB needs to be where he can sit directly under it so I would move your decor and maybe the light -
Karrie

The UVB is directly over top of the hammock where he basks. Is that what you mean? So it me it is set up correctly.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there thanks for getting us the temperature :)
I'm glad you have a digital with probe end

I do agree it's too hot though. You could try lowering the hammock, raising the bulb, a combo of both methods, or try a different bulb.

The only problem with it being that hot is that he wont stay in it long enough to digest. I'd aim for 100-105.

You might look into getting rid of the hammock as his basking spot and using a brick or something for the time being. That should make it lower too and conversely make the basking temp lower.
Additionally, it looks like hes much too close to the uvb bulb while on his hammock, so the uv is most likely frying him, along with the high heat. So actually, I'd lower the basking site first as opposed to raising the bulb.

Once you can get it to a more comfortable temperature for him, he should start basking more, and lots of good will come from that :)

Luckily it's an easy change to make :)

-Brandon

Fury1212

Original Poster
Thank you very much! I’ll try lowering the hammock...or should I use a bulb that’s less powerful? Also do you think this will help him? I want him to gain weight!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Once you get your temps in order and lighting set up correctly he should start eating and basking again - temps and proper lighting etc are key to a healthy dragon
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Fury1212":jlh4693o said:
Thank you very much! I’ll try lowering the hammock...or should I use a bulb that’s less powerful? Also do you think this will help him? I want him to gain weight!

Definitely lower the hammock first and see what your temps are. You might need a lower wattage bulb but you'll just have to see. The benefit of lowering the hammock is also getting it further away from the uvb. If it's the t8 you want it to be at least 6 inches away. 6-8 is a good range. So it would be perfect if at 6-8 inches from the uvb bulb if your temps were in range too.

If his low weight was caused by improper digestion, he will definitely start putting on weight again once hes able to digest and absorb nutrients :)

Let us know what happens :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom