Weird poop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I recently got a bearded dragon from Petco, he's around 6-8 months and I've had him for about 4 days now. He's very active and seems to be very sweet, he's just a bit startled at the sudden change of setting. I've noticed that his poop has been runny/not solid and I'm a little worried that its what I'm feeding him. His salads consist of turnip and collared greens, red bell pepper, butternut squash, mangos and sometimes apples. I also feed him small/med superworms. Is it the change of diet that might be upsetting his stomach or am I doing something wrong? Also, this is my first beardie and It's normal for stress marks to be there for the first few days right? Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The dome has a coil UVB in it? If it is hes basically getting no UVB at all ---- this is what you need if you want to stay w/ a coil The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.
This is what I recommend
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- its up to you --- once you get the UVB changed out you should see a difference in his poop - right now he is not getting his food digested -- if you have anymore questions please ask ---
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In addition, the change of diet definitely can cause odd poos. You are feeding a lot of high water content items so you could cut back a bit on the fruit.

And, relocation stress can cause some runny poos too. So you have a trifecta of sorts for runny poos! Lol.

It should firm up as time goes on. Make sure you have a good thermometer too to make sure your temperatures are right. Without proper temps you wont have proper digestion.

Good luck with your new guy! Hope to see more of him :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom