Baby bearded dragon not moving or wanting to eat much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmund45

Hi i recently just bought a bearded dragon from a breeder online. The bearded dragon is a Morph called Tangerine Dream and he is about 3 months old and 8-9 inches long. I received my bearded dragon in the mail on 8-14-19 ( currently its 8-18-19 ). The breeder informed me to place him in the tank that i have for him and to place some grub worms in the tank and leave him alone for about a day in order to allow him to get used to his surroundings. I did as the breeder instructed and placed him in the tank and left him alone but every now and then checked on him from a distance. The next day i checked on him and found that he was staying in the corner of the tank and didn't touch any of the grub worms. I attempted to feed him the grub worms by hand and he ate 5 of them. I then followed the breeders instructions which was to put luke warm water in a large container and put him in it for 20 minutes to allow him to drink. I put him in the water and he drink-ed some but didn't move from the spot i placed him in. I took him out of the water after 15-20 minutes and he crawled onto a fake tree branch that i had in the tank which is under the heat lamp and stayed there the rest of the day. The next day i tried to feed him again and he ate 2 grub worms and remained in the same spot. On Saturday i tried to feed him again but he wouldn't eat and was still in the same place. I tried again on Sunday but he had the same behavior. On Sunday i decided to try to hold him so that he would get used to me and he let me pick him up without a problem. I sat down with him in my hand and i noticed that he was breathing heavily like he was scared so i covered him with my other hand and he calmed down and actually fell asleep in my hand after 20 minutes or so. I let him sleep for a while and then moved my hand and he started to move and look around so i tried to feed him but he wouldn't eat. I finally put him back in the tank and he crawled back up on the branch.

The tank i have is a 55 gallon tank that has vents down the sides and opens from the front with two swinging glass doors. i also have a wire mesh top on it and 2 100 Watt heat lamps and 1 10.0 UVB tube ( the long tube ones not the small or compact ones ). the basking side of his tank is at 90-95 degrees and the cooler side is at 80. The branch that he is on is closer to the lamps and it at about 100 degrees. The humidity in the tank ranges from 35-50% depending on the time of day. He has eaten 7 grub worms in 4 days and drinked some water.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like he may still be settling in. It's good that he ate from your hand a bit and drank some water. It sounds like he is OK with handling so I'd continue to offer some worms by hand and try to build trust that way. Can you post some photos of him and his setup? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Edmund45

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2bscgpza said:
It sounds like he may still be settling in. It's good that he ate from your hand a bit and drank some water. It sounds like he is OK with handling so I'd continue to offer some worms by hand and try to build trust that way. Can you post some photos of him and his setup? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Here is some pictures also as a update the bearded dragon started shedding his skin. Im not sure if that has a affect on his behavior.
105725-3359689750.jpg
105725-1133962963.jpg
105725-9446715298.jpg
105725-8350718124.jpg
105725-2113553472.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There is definitely a shed coming on and that can affect their mood and appetite. He looks good though. You may want to double check surface temps using a couple of digital thermometers with probes if you're relying on the analog dial thermometers. Those can wind up being pretty inaccurate.

Edmund45

Original Poster
Ok i will look into getting a digital thermometer and thanks for the help im glad that him shedding may be why he isn't wanting to eat/move much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You UVB is it a T 8 or a T 5? 2 100 Watt heat lamps?? How are you taking temps-- it seems 2 100 watt would be way too hot???
Karrie

Edmund45

Original Poster
KarrieRee":113wnexb said:
You UVB is it a T 8 or a T 5? 2 100 Watt heat lamps?? How are you taking temps-- it seems 2 100 watt would be way too hot???
Karrie

I believe the UVB is a T 8 and as for the heat lamps yes i do have 2 100 Watt heat lamps and i have 3 temp gauges placed in the tank. 1 on the ground by the basking spot. one on the wall in the basking spot. and one on the cool side on the wall. the one on the ground in the basking spot reads that the temp is 95-100 degrees. the one on the wall on the basking spot reads 90-95 degrees. and the one on the cool side reads 85 degrees.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Stick ons are not reliable they can be way off as much as 40 degrees- please get a digital probe and or a Infrared heat gun- they can be bought at Home Depot Lowes or Walmart--- the digital probe you can get at your pet store both are cheap------------- I have a feeling your tank is way to hot - please shut one of the 100 watt bulbs off --- I would invest in both temp measurements and use the digital probe on the cool side of tank - you want that side 80's during the day and not below 65 at nite --- the infrared you can use on your basking side or you can get a digital probe for that side too --- but please get one or the other and get accurate temps- take the probe and leave there for 10 minutes if using in the basking side - place it to where he sits to bask --the T 8 needs to go inside your tank approx 6-8 inches from basking area and he needs to be able to sit directly under it w/ the cover off the bulb - you can use these to hang it w/
command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – plastic zip ties
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nylon-Cable-Tie-Ties-Black-2-5-3-5-4-8-7-6-9-X-100-150-200-300-370-530mm-UV-Good/332871964184?hash=item4d80b71618:m:m40KOkegiGiJeePUguhY5cQ&var=541991102297

Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom