limping, not using rear leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
last night i noticed my sindragosa is not moving her rear left leg through full motion. if i compress her leg past a certain point she will flinch. squeezing her foot makes her flinch as well. no swelling, no external signs of injury. i put her in the bath to swim a bit this morning and she limits her leg to about 1/2 full range of motion, while walking she has a noticeable limp where she pulls back from using that leg.

i have her setup on some pillows under her basking lamp right now, she does not seem to be in any pain and is still eating/drinking/moving around. i think its just a sprain?

i have a vet appointment at 9am tomorrow morning, just want to get opinions on what else to do in the mean time.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Does she have a hammock in her tank and is it a mesh? She may have gotten the toenail caught in the mesh if that is the case---------- has she fallen and perhaps injured it that way--
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When is the last time she poo'd?
Is there anyway she could have injured it in her tank or while outside of her tank

To rule out mbd, can you go over your lighting setup with us? Specifically your uvb bulb?

-Brandon

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
she does not have a hamock but she has lots of stuff to climb on. her tank itself is lined with carpet to allow her climbing. most of what she climbes on is fabric. her outdoor tank is all screen but she didnt hurt herself out there. over 2 years with that outdoor tank and ive never seen her fall

she last pooed this morning. her normal routine is to come into the shower with me and she poos in the water. today she was floating/swimming and passed her poo with out issue.

she would have to have hurt her leg outside of the tank for sure. she was in her tank when i came home yesterday but she is allowed full range in the house. her climbing out of the tank, sitting by the bedroom window, jumping down across the bed, into the hallway, down through the kitchen, into the dining room, down the steps into the living room, up onto one couch, a leap onto the second, and a jump into the floor as she makes her way to the screen door of the patio is a COMMON daily occurrence.

the house is beardie proofed to a degree, nothing too tall for her to climb on, thick carpeting, and the few screens we have at the doors/windows all have pillows for her to fall onto if she looses her grip. that being said i have never seen her fall

her in tank lighting is two of the ceramic heat lamp things, a black light (that i dont use much anymore), and a 36" UVB from 'zoomed' i think. her indoor tank is a 180 gallon, over the past few months she has been spending more time in it than usual. ill have her in the living room watching tv with me and she will jump down and run off. ill find her later in the night, back in her tank under her basking lamps.

her outdoor tank is where she spends a day or two a week. its about 340 gallons at 4.8' tall. she basks in the sun out there and climbs around. some nights she sleeps out there too if its warm enough.

her calcium intake has been less these past couple months. she usedto go after any of her food with calcium on it like it was crack... now however she has been eating less. given her basking i was assuming she was just in a mood.

she has not lost any weight, rather has gained a few grams over the last 4 months. up to 502g at last weigh in iirc

she also gets time out every other week or so where we go to the park and she basks in the sun/runs around in the grass and climbing trees.

her active life style is why im so worried about her leg, she is usedto being able to climb and jump all over

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sounds like shes a very pampered beardie and the UVB sounds good too -- she may have caught a nail on some thing she was climbing on --- and shes eating greens ? so that is good cuz I do believe they contain calcium -- its possible she got that nail caught on one of those screens- I know Hiccup was climbing on my screen door and I went and got him off the screen simply because I didnt one want him falling and second getting a nail caught in it---
Karrie

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
she has not been eating many greens, no. i sneak a green bean into her mouth between meal worm bites but thats about it. she still likes blueberries but ive been mostly feeding her worms. i also persuade her to eat dubia roaches from time to time. her appetite has changed a bit i guess.

her worms are fed berries, green beans, and bearded dragon pellets, same as the roaches get.

she also eats pinkies, i buy them when she refuses to eat other things as she has NEVER put up a fuss eating a mouse...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not sure about feeding pinkies -- I have heard not to-- some others will haft to weigh in on that-- what kind of worms? dubias are a great staple feeder also BSFL-- good to and full of calcium- you will haft to see if the limp goes away - if she has sprained it or got a nail caught I would think it would heal on its own and she would get full use of it again - the vet could take X rays to see what the issue is as well - I guess that would be your call as to doing that--
Karrie

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
she gets a few a year. from what i know they are high in cholesterol. sindragosa is very active so im sure she burns off more fat than most beardies. ive been told they are best used as feeders for egg laying females and not good to give in frequency.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, she really lives an active life ! :) That's a lot of roaming and climbing, I'm 99 % sure that is where her injury came from. Keep her from climbing + jumping right now and let the leg heal. I think she should recover if you limit her activities. Be careful of a tall outdoor cage, you might not have seen if she did take a fall in it or if a nail got hung up and caused a slight dislocation of the joint. BTW, do you have pics of her indoor + outdoor enclosures ?

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
vet thinks its just a light sprain, she is using it a bit more today than yesterday. they are worried she may have too much vitamin a and d so i am to use non d3 calcium for now and check blood work in a few weeks.
she was also given some zinc toothpaste to use daily for the next 3 months.
i am to remove her wormy foods for the time being and try to force her to eat more greens. monitoring weight along the way. if she has more than a 3% variance in weight then i need to start using supplements to syringe to her while we wait for her to eat more greens.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good to hear. She should continue to improve as long as she doesn't re- injure it in any way by too much climbing + jumping action. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom