Lettuce for possible dehydrated Beardie? Hornworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
This is a health / feeding topic.

Temps by probe: 105°F hot spot, 95°, 85°, down to 75°F at coolest dark hide daytime temps. 65°-70°F night temps.

UVB 6 months old Arcadia T5 12%. With reflector. Within 12 inches of hot zone and long basking log

4 foot by about 17 inches by 19 inches wood enclosure with front doors.

Devlyn has always been an infrequent pooper. Once a week average. Her urates have firmed up over the last 1-2 months and sometimes she won't poo for almost 2 weeks. Still plyable but seem too dry.

She has access to a water dish, never seen her drink.

Gets a bath once or twice a week. She loves her bath. In 6 months I've seen her drink from the bath once.

I mist her with spring water in the AM. She never licks the water just goes to bask herself dry.

She won't eat fruit. I offer. Almost never eats squash or strawberry. She eats her leafy greens almost every day.

Gut loaded dubia roaches and crickets mostly. I get her hornworms now and then but they don't seem to have an effect on her poo. But also the most she ever got was 4 hornworms in 1 week. I'm worried she is a little bit dehydrated all the time. Lettuce has too much water, but maybe some romaine lettuce just to hydrate her? Any thoughts? thanks

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How do her urates look? She might very well be hydrated enough. If shes eating a salad and hornworms, shes most likely decently hydrated. you can mist the salad to add a bit more moisture. But based in what you described I wouldn't be concerned with lack of water unless the urates look bad.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Urates are white, formed. I pick them up with paper towels and they used to squish under pressure. Now they crumble if under pressure. Also when she has longer time between poos, more than 7 days, the brown part stops being formed and comes out more messy with the firmer urate.

I've checked the weight of her poo recently and she can poo a 5g or 8g load. That seems like too much at one time. From my own research the larger poos, less frequent, and firm urate point to dehydration. Her saliva is also stringy when she opens her mouth. Her skin has some slight tenting. I don't think she is severely dehydrated. Just minorly dehydrated over a somewhat long time

(EDIT) of course she had 5 bites of strawberry after posting. All I need to do was make a topic online and she ate something more hydrating. I'm going to keep encouraging more hydrating vegetables and I'll get hornworms too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom