Night Time Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

First off I am a brand new bearded dragon owner and am very excited, but as you can imagine I have lots of questions. Today I noticed my 2-3 month old leatherback has begun to show some stress marks. I looked up whether or not he should have his heating lights on at night because I have read some differing opinions. To my knowledge as long as it does not get colder than about 65 F at night in my home I can turn everything off and then back on during the day. Is this correct? I want to make sure I am doing things correctly. Before tonight I always left his basking light on because that is what the pet store said to do. After further research I found this to be a bad idea so I turned them off tonight and am curious to see what is going to happen? Could someone help me out?

Thank you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
All lights should be on for around 12 hrs and off for 12 hrs --- they haft to sleep like you and I no lights- if you need heat at nite get a CHE - they are heat only -- no colored bulb- it can hurt their eyes and cause long term eye damage--- the pet store is giving bad advice once again----- please post a pic of your tank and lighting so we can see what else the pet store has sold you that you dont need and what is there for lighting
thanks Karrie

SPandS

Juvie Member
You're correct in that if your house stays above 65 at night you won't need any extra heat in the tank. Like Karrie said if you do need to add heat at night a che, ceramic heat emmiter, are what's preferred so it doesn't disrupt their sleep. I think most people try to mimic the sun and turn their lights on around sun up and off around sun set, so they will be on longer during the summer and shorter during the winter. I, as well as many other people use timers to make it easier on ourselves. For summer I have mine set to turn on around 730am and off around 9pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom