Is he dehydrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbooNaga

I'm comparing our boy Abby (who hates his greens) to our girl Spikey who loves her greens equally to her dubias. And I notice more loose skin on Abby. Is Abby dehydrated? And if he is how do I get him to drink up? When we let him swim he just stands in the water for a minute then he starts trashing around like he wants to get out. We never notice him trying to drink during these times.

105559-8363336366.jpg

105559-4663957027.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I cant tell -- are her eyes sunken in? You can mist her w/ a spray bottle - and see if she will lick her lips after you mist her - make sure her bugs are well hydrated w/ food - you can feed your dubias carrots and that will hydrate them so she will get hydration from them as well or so I am told - now I have heard different - and they now say they dont get hydration from bugs so I am confused on that one-- all I know is I feed mine dubias and feed the bugs good and he will not drink from a bath or even when I mist him so as long as the urate is good and white and semi hard or hard they are hydrated its when it looks chalky flakey then I think that is a sign of dehydration - or if they have excess water they will pee it out
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Skin really isnt a good indicator of hydration in dragons. The urates are your best clue. If the urates are soft and white, then usually the dragon is well hydrated. if they are hard and chalky, or discolored, they might benefit from extra hydration.

Baths are only good at hydrating if the dragon drinks. If the dragon seems to generally detest bath time, I'd cut it out of the routine. Some dragons like baths, some don't. And if yours doesnt it wont be missing out on anything really.

-Brandon

AbooNaga

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2vvns9tl said:
I cant tell -- are her eyes sunken in?
His eyes look fine and he is alert. Honestly I've never seen him open his mouth for anything other than his dubias and superworms. Haha! Thank you!

AbooNaga

Original Poster
claudiusx":eqoktolk said:
Skin really isnt a good indicator of hydration in dragons. The urates are your best clue. If the urates are soft and white, then usually the dragon is well hydrated. if they are hard and chalky, or discolored, they might benefit from extra hydration.

Baths are only good at hydrating if the dragon drinks. If the dragon seems to generally detest bath time, I'd cut it out of the routine. Some dragons like baths, some don't. And if yours doesnt it wont be missing out on anything really.

-Brandon

Fortunately his urates look good. Thank you! I believe I will also let him skip his baths since he doesn't enjoy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom