UVB bulb hurting baby beardie's eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there, I got my guy from a reptile show about a week ago. I probably got him a little too young and he was touch and go for a while and wouldn't eat and was very weak. With daily baths and his newfound love of BSFL he seems to be recovering. One thing I have noticed is that he closes his eyes a lot unless something is going on he pretty much always seems to have at least one eye or the other closed. He has them open and is alert feeding etc. though. I was thinking maybe the light was bothering him mostly because it bothers me when I am working in the cage so I can't imagine being exposed to it all day. Here is a pic of the lighting setup. Its a 10.0 retisun for UVB and 160 watt exo-terra bulb for basking. Temps are 105-110 checked with a temp gun.
81415-510016242.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That basking bulb is it a bright white bulb or off colored like a yellowish tone to it?
Karrie

Dogstar5988

Original Poster
It wasn't marked as a colored bulb in any way but it does have an yellow-ish/orange glow. Should I try switching to a normal "soft white" household bulb?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your lights are overhead so they shouldn't be causing a problem. If he is closing his eyes while basking, it's likely just a sign of relaxation.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I was gonna say the same mine closes his eyes as well one or the other at times --- as long as the light is directly over head I guess hes good -- I know a bright white bulb is what is recommended but it sounds like hes ok w/ the one he has
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree your setup sounds fine! I wouldn't worry about it :)

Are you turning off all the lights at night?

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom