Beardie not eating or basking

Status
Not open for further replies.
For about 3 weeks now my female beardie has not been eating or basking. I know her temps are all correct. She still wont bask, she spends her time on the cool side of our 50gal tank. She will be one in September. I took her to the vet and of course she has pinworms. They felt around for eggs and didnt feel any. The pinworms were treated a week ago now. Still not eating or basking. Everyone keeps saying shes too young for brumation, but I really think that's what is going on. She looks healthy and hasn't lost weight.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She is to young and it is summer! Correct where you are? Please post pics of tank and lighting -- I am guessing its the lighting in the tank - we can better help if we see -- how old is she - I should of asked that first-- sorry
Karrie

Cbranham721

Original Poster
I've been told by many breeders that they can brumate as young as 7 or 8 months. Also, the season doesnt matter since in the southern hemisphere its winter right now. Its embedded in their DNA is what I was told. Her lighting is all correct. I had someone go over it all with me. I just dont know what else it could be.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
T 8's should be 6-8 inches w/ cover off bulb--- I have not been told they brumate that young- semi where they still eat and bask but not completely stop - I would move UVB and see if it changes her behavior
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The T 8 bulb is not strong enough to illuminate the UVB rays that far --- she is not getting enough UVB rays and that is the reason for the not eating sleeping behavior -- it will continue until you fix it ---- and she will begin to lose weight -
Karrie

Cbranham721

Original Poster
Its 8" from both of her basking spots and 10" from the bottom of the tank. This is what the breeder told me was correct and another liable source who helped me fix everything.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So the bulb is new it sounds like-- what was in there before you replaced the UVB?
https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/?page=1
Its very rare for a Beardie that is under a year old to brumate, unless they were born extremely early in the year and are rapidly approaching a year old when cold weather sets in, however it is possible.
What are her basking temps? and how are you taking them? Infrared heat gun ? stick ons? digital probe?
Karrie

Cbranham721

Original Poster
We have a digital thermometer inside and I use a temp gun. Yes, I had a exo terra and switched to the reptisun 10.0. She will be one on September

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so that all sounds good-- she has me stumped-- no eggs- pin worms are cleared up? Some others on here are gonna haft to weigh in on ideas-- have you weighed her to see if she is losing weight? What about pooping? Is she dehydrated?
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How do her urates look?
What was prescribed for the pinworms?
What was her daily diet like before she stopped eating?

Did you take her weight at the beginning of this all? It would be good to track just to be sure she isnt losing weight like you mentioned.

It's possible that she could be brumating, but best to cross the ts and dot the i's first.

-Brandon

Cbranham721

Original Poster
She is 360 grams 16" long. I'm not sure which meds were prescribed. I will have to check tomorrow. Yes, no eggs. Just to be sure I put some sand in her cage, but no interest.

Cbranham721

Original Poster
I havent seen any urates since shes not eating. I put her on Reptiboost a couple days ago, via the veterinarians reccomendation, and she had a tiny poop yesterday. That's it in the past week or so. She had another small one in her bath before that. Just enough for a stool sample though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom