Black scales under chin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowhini

Hi, I just got a bearded dragon 2 weeks ago and he has some hard deformed scales under his chin. He doesn't have any anywhere else. He was a bit darker when I took the photo because he was basking, but when he's lighter you can see that the black scales make a 'V' shape along his jaw. He already had them when I first got him. I thought it was stuck shed at first so I've been bathing him once a day or every other day. He tries to submerge his chin under water and rub agaisnt the plastic tub. I have no idea what it could be. He was kept in sand too, and on the way to my house he was scratching the box he was in a lot. I don't know if this had anything to do with it though!
He was kept in sand and they didn't tell me about his diet. He's two I think. Now he's kept in reptile carpet, basking spot around 100-110° F, vegs everyday and insects twice a week.
105522-9546093279.jpg
[XIMG]105522
105522-9952412950.jpg
9546093279[/XIMG]

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hiya, and first of all welcome to the forums!

Oof, something is definitely up there, though. It sounds like this boy came from a not-so-great situation before you took him in? It sounds like you're doing great, but he might have some issues from his prior home. My honest advice is to see about finding a trustworthy reptile vet near where you live and taking him in. You should do this regardless whenever you get a any new animal, however surprisingly few people do for a number of factors...

Here are my thoughts, though - To me, it looks like that was a former injury, likely a burn (particularly likely if the former home used an unregulated UTH) or a scrape from long-term glass surfing. It looks like it's healing up OK, but probably iches/hurts still. It could also be moderately infected, and if this is the case all the more reason to take your boyo to the vet.

Another option - which I can't tell from these pics - is that he might have a mite infestation. So you see any sign of that? For example, does he have moving dots on him (the mites themselves) or a fine dark-colored powder (mite frass)? These might be particularly apparent if you run your hand along him as they might shed off onto your hand, making them more visible (they don't harm people, don't worry, especially if you wash your hands afterwards).

He actually looks to be in pretty good health aside from that. His jaw lines up nicely and he doesn't have an obvious nutritional issues. Keep on the lookout for early MBD though, rescues often have a touch of it. My Guac did when I first got him from the pet store.

Good luck and please update us with what you do and how it goes!
-Ellen

Meowhini

Original Poster
Ellentomologist":2f2dipwd said:
Hiya, and first of all welcome to the forums!

Oof, something is definitely up there, though. It sounds like this boy came from a not-so-great situation before you took him in? It sounds like you're doing great, but he might have some issues from his prior home. My honest advice is to see about finding a trustworthy reptile vet near where you live and taking him in. You should do this regardless whenever you get a any new animal, however surprisingly few people do for a number of factors...

Here are my thoughts, though - To me, it looks like that was a former injury, likely a burn (particularly likely if the former home used an unregulated UTH) or a scrape from long-term glass surfing. It looks like it's healing up OK, but probably iches/hurts still. It could also be moderately infected, and if this is the case all the more reason to take your boyo to the vet.

Another option - which I can't tell from these pics - is that he might have a mite infestation. So you see any sign of that? For example, does he have moving dots on him (the mites themselves) or a fine dark-colored powder (mite frass)? These might be particularly apparent if you run your hand along him as they might shed off onto your hand, making them more visible (they don't harm people, don't worry, especially if you wash your hands afterwards).

He actually looks to be in pretty good health aside from that. His jaw lines up nicely and he doesn't have an obvious nutritional issues. Keep on the lookout for early MBD though, rescues often have a touch of it. My Guac did when I first got him from the pet store.

Good luck and please update us with what you do and how it goes!
-Ellen

Thank you so much! And no, he doesn't have mites or mild signs of MBD- he was in ok conditions just not optimal. He's not underweight or anything, apart from the wounds of course. Do you know how long it would take for them to heal? They feel like scabs. I will eventually bring him to a vet when I can!

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Could it be long time retained shed?

Meowhini

Original Poster
HippieLizards":cjxuxplk said:
Could it be long time retained shed?
I don't really know since I only got him 2 weeks ago. I thought it was retained shed too, but baths aren't helping. The scales feel like scabs

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Looks like it hasn't shed properly and may even be a bit of fungus. Get some Lotrimin to apply on that area. If it's fungal it should clear it up, if it's bad shed it will moisten it enough to come off. Don't bathe him for a bit now, maybe just once a week.

So I got my second beardie about a two weeks ago, she’s about 4 months old. I have been noticing that she isn’t eating and hasn’t even touched her salad. Also she had these black scab like things around her moth on on top of her head. Should I be consumed or just wait until she sheds. Btw I never had this problem with my other beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom