Bearded Dragons with Muscular Dystrophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itio

I was actually directed here from a different forum in hope of getting some help.

I have a bearded dragon that was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy. She is about five months old right now. Where I adopted her said she came in normal and within a week started showing signs of something that looked like genetic calcium deficiency (walking on wrists/ankles). They took her to the vet and when calcium and higher UVB outputs did not work, brought her back. They did labwork and determined Muscular Dystrophy.

At the moment, her back legs lock up often and she runs on his ankles and wrists. She was prescribed hydrotheraphy as well as encouragement to have her chase all of her meat protein (no mealworm bowls or tongue feeding here!). She is supplemented with syringe treats such as reptiboost and grub pie mixed with fruit baby food.

So far, she is just a little behind schedule on weight and length, but no one seems all that worried about it because she has a healthy appetite and is very active.

Does anyone else have a bearded dragon or other reptile with MD? There is so little research on Muscular dystrophy in bearded dragons at the moment (I think I have only found one article and it was a qualitative study as opposed to an experimental treatment article). I want to give my vet as much information from first hand experiences so we can help her the best we can.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
From what (little so far) I've read, giving them some water therapy can help strengthen their muscles a bit and help with their mobility. You may wind up needing to hand feed meals at some point as well. You might check in with Sarah from Sarah's Bearded Dragon Rescue and see if she has some advice. I know she has worked with some dragons in the past who have Muscular Dystrophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom