Help!

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Help!

Postby Beardy0419 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:35 pm

I need help seeing if my bearded dragon is male or female. I think she is female but i’m not quite sure. [Click image to enlarge]
Beardy0419
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Help!

Postby Drache613 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:02 pm

Hello,

Your dragon appears to be female, but she looks pretty young. What is her age?

Tracie
Drache613

Postby Drache613 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:04 pm

Moved by Moderator from Beardie ER to Health
Drache613

Postby Beardy0419 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:06 pm

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

Your dragon appears to be female, but she looks pretty young. What is her age?

Tracie

She is about 8 months old, so she is still young. Including her tail she is about 12-13 inches.
Beardy0419
Newbie Poster

Postby HippieLizards » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:08 pm

Greetings,

It Still is a bit hard to tell, But maybe female? I'm not sure it looks really 50/50 to me. :? Like I can easily see the female bump but there looks like some slight hints of male hemipenes.

Although the femoral pores look pretty pronounced so maaybe male? I'm not sure, You could however try the flashlight method to be really sure.

To do the flashlight method, get your Beardie, a extremely bright and strong flashlight, And a extremely dark (preferably windowless so maybe like a closet or bathroom), put your Beardie in the same position you have it in (maybe arch the tail a bit higher as well), and put the flashlight up to the back of the tail and you can determine its gender for sure (I hope) that way. Good luck! :D
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
Last edited by HippieLizards on Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slave to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, one leopard gecko, one Betta fish, and a Cat. (R.I.P Thor, Cisco, & Ruby. You three will always be in our hearts).
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby Beardy0419 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:13 pm

HippieLizards wrote:Greetings,

Still a bit hard to tell, But maybe female? I'm not sure it looks really 50/50 to me. :? Like I can easily see the female bump but there looks like some slight hints of male hemipenes.

Although the femoral pores look pretty pronounced so maaybe male? I'm not sure, You could however try the flashlight method to be really sure.

To do the flashlight method, get your Beardie, a extremely bright and strong flashlight, And a extremely dark (preferably windowless so maybe like a closet or bathroom), put your Beardie in the same position you have it in (maybe arch the tail a bit higher as well), and put the flashlight up to the back of the tail and you can determine its gender for sure (I hope) that way. Good luck! :D
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

Thank you so much, you're a great help!
:)
Beardy0419
Newbie Poster

Postby HippieLizards » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:16 pm

Beardy0419 wrote:
HippieLizards wrote:Greetings,

Still a bit hard to tell, But maybe female? I'm not sure it looks really 50/50 to me. :? Like I can easily see the female bump but there looks like some slight hints of male hemipenes.

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

Thank you so much, you're a great help!
:)
No problem! I'm happy to help! :D
Slave to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, one leopard gecko, one Betta fish, and a Cat. (R.I.P Thor, Cisco, & Ruby. You three will always be in our hearts).
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health