Agitated Beardie after Boarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

adasimone

My girl Thorson just got back from being boarded for two weeks with a local bearded dragon breeder. She had a great set up there and her care was fantastic. There are a lot of beardies in the shop that she would have seen.

Since getting back on July 2, she has been super agitated and hyperactive. She normally is content to sit in the window on her perch and maybe crawl around on a few pieces of furniture. I work from home so once she's been awake for a while and totally warmed up I take her out and let her do her thing. We have hardwood floors that she doesn't like to walk on. She might get a little grumpy when I put her back in her cage, but she never glass dances. She sometimes goes on "patrol" and will walk around the window and couch, but never for more than an hour or so before settling back down.

Now she's glass dancing, walking loops around her cage and running around the entire house trying to get into everything. Lots of head bobs and partially black beards. She's got stress marks whenever I put her back in her cage. I've stopped her from trying to make a few stupid jumps so she could get to places she can't reach. We're watching her like a hawk. She's also been throwing her food around the terrarium after she eats some.

I'm 90% sure this is just due to her needing to make sure there aren't any other dragons in her territory, but I'm a first time owner and I would appreciate insight or reassurance. I would also appreciate insight about when to get worried. Thank you.

Thorson, 2 years, Female
40 gallon terrarium (36x18)
Reptisun 10% UV Bulb below mesh
Basking spot 102, warm side 92, cold side 82 (infrared thermometer)
Diet: Mostly mustard greens and butternut squash with one other rotating fruit/veg for variety. 3-5 small dubias every 3 or 4 days.

Window perch with ~105 degree basking spot and Reptisun 10% UV bulb.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible that seeing all the other dragons got her hormones ramped up and now she has eggs. Females get antsy like that when they are looking for a place to lay. It wouldn't hurt to give her a lay box and see what happens.

Of course it could also be due to what you mentioned, and being territorial. Even so, a lay box wont hurt. :)

-Brandon

adasimone

Original Poster
Thank you so much! We'll put together a lay box today. I can't feel eggs but she's also a huge chonk* and that could be making it hard to feel.

*I promise I adopted her that way and we're actively working on getting her weight down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom