wrinkly skin, easily stressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
TL;DR:
My beardie is easily stressed and has wrinkly skin.

Possible causes that I think and need confirmation:
- Big change to humidity after removing water ramp.
- Me trying to make it accustomed to getting handled.
- Just hungry / dehydrated.

So my beardie has been shedding for the past two weeks that caused it to have lessened appetite.

Now he just shed a big chunk of skin and started darting here and there.

Because the summer wind is coming now here in Canada, the humidity is raising.

I normally have a water ramp but that causes the humidity inside the aquarium to be around 60+% and that caused me to have some concerns. So I removed it.

I'm afraid putting back the water ramp because that will ramp up the humidity to 60% and above. So I just increased the times of me misting my beardie (from 1-2 times a day to 2-3 times a day).

I've been trying to handle it because it's still not accustomed to me so I've been trying to handle it every hour for 2-3 mins for it to be accustomed.

So I thought me trying to handle it causes it to become stressed so I stopped, but then it's still easily stressed.

I've also noticed he has been glass surfing on the cold side of the tank.

Here are the information:
Length (head to tails): 7 inch

Enclosure:
40 gallon glass aquarium, screen top

Substrate:
ReptiCarpet

Lighting (both on top of the screen):
ReptiSun 10.0 T5 HO on a ZooMed T5 reflector fixture
ZooMed Basking Spot Lamp 100W on a ZooMed dome

Temperature (IR GUN):
Hot: ~100F - 110F
Cold: ~85F - 90F

Diet:
Silk Worms
Dusted Crickets (calcium w/o D3 + ZooMed reptivite)
Dusted Collard Greens (calcium only)

Lights:
ON: 6:15 AM
OFF: 9:15 PM

Image of the tank:
yDZvBXZ.jpg

tetriminoss

Original Poster
On the very last image of the post, you can see my beardie, that's the place where it's been going up and down then surfing on the blue background.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would leave the water bowl out - the misting I would not do as often as your doing --- why are you misting so much that is also causing the humidity to go up
Karrie

tetriminoss

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1fsvgnp4 said:
I would leave the water bowl out - the misting I would not do as often as your doing --- why are you misting so much that is also causing the humidity to go up
Karrie

because I can't put him to bath so I thought misting would help, in terms of shedding

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok -- how long have you had him? He is probably going thru relocation stress-- I would cut down on the misting-- w/ the humidity that high you don't want to give him an RI-- are you using a hydrometer-- for humidity? The house does it have high humidity? 40-50% in the tank is ok -- and I think 60 ok as well I think if it starts getting to 70 then I would be concerned- others on here can input
Karrie

tetriminoss

Original Poster
KarrieRee":fsrryzqa said:
Ok -- how long have you had him? He is probably going thru relocation stress-- I would cut down on the misting-- w/ the humidity that high you don't want to give him an RI-- are you using a hydrometer-- for humidity? The house does it have high humidity? 40-50% in the tank is ok -- and I think 60 ok as well I think if it starts getting to 70 then I would be concerned- others on here can input
Karrie

around 3-4 weeks now, for 2 weeks I left him to be accustomed to the tank, and these past 2 weeks I've been adding / removing decorations that can help him in long term. Maybe that may be the case?

For house humidity, using hygrometer it's dancing around 45%-50+% and the tank is dancing around 40% - 50%

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That is fine-- I would leave decor alone- sometimes it takes awhile for them to adjust-- be patient- he's gonna get used to you w/ your hands in the tank--- you can put a soft piece of clothes like fleece or blanket in his hide so he gets used to your smell- he will come around-- try hand feeding
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom