Foot and toe amputation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone.

I have been surrendered a sweet little girl after the owner had her with a male (both juveniles) and the male bit her foot and toe on opposite food. The owner surrendered her to me as he can't afford the surgery to amputate the foot and opposite toe.

I've never been through this before and was wanting someone to just give me a heads up on what to expect after surgery and how her recovery will look?

She's almost 6 months but she's super tiny at only 89g
Her surgery is in 5 days at the cost of approx $1000

Hope to hear from someone soon.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, sorry to hear this. Can you post a full body pic of your dragon to show body condition as well as a few good pics of the injuries ? I [ and many others ] have owned a dragon that lost a foot, it barely affect them in most cases. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She looks healthy [ and beautiful :) ] so should have no problem with surgery. BTW, sometimes a wounded body part will shed differently than the rest of the body. Can you try soaking the foot with a watered down betadine solution and VERY gently stroking lightly with a soft toothbrush ? See if some of that is just shed. Then post pics after she's dried off again.

DragonMamaOfMany

Original Poster
I only picked her up 2 days ago and was worried bathing the injuries could introduce more bacteria? All her poor little toes are stuck together (looks like they were at one stage weepy)

I will start by trying the single toe in a betadine soak, be good if we could at least save that toe

She isn't eating much at all which I guess is due to a mix of having antibiotics as well as infection and pain so I am giving her some Repashy slurry.

DragonMamaOfMany

Original Poster
I gave her a soak. She was in obvious pain so did want to interfere with her feet too much.

I havent got pics of her foot dried off as she's fallen asleep wrapped up but here are pics of foot in bath
102420-363913272.jpg
102420-677111256.jpg
102420-6563429385.jpg
102420-2093338059.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The toe doesn't look bad + will almost certainly heal on it's own. The foot does need amputated though . Hopefully she will bounce back quickly. The meds. can def. ruin their appetite though. I do think the price is really high too, I wonder if you can ask for a detailed rundown on the costs.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Donna,

Good to see you on here, I didn't know you were a member. :D
I think she will do just fine & should heal. As AHBD suggested, antibiotics usually tend to
decrease their appetites in some form or fashion.
She is a pretty little one, so hopefully she will finish growing once she is all healed up.
The prices are a bit high but probably because of your location!

Tracie

DragonMamaOfMany

Original Poster
Hey Tracie ?

I joined a few months ago. Amazing forum

Yes I gathered the antibiotics was affecting her appetite however previous owner said she stopped eating before he took her to vets, so possibly pain and stress related too?

Yes New Zealand only has a handful of vets country wide that deal with reptiles so it's extremely expensive.

She sure is a pretty little one! She's still quite active which is surprising ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well I know you'll do what you need to do to help your pretty girl. :) She should do just fine after surgery + hopefully regain her appetite. It'll be good to have some Critical Care supplement from the vet to offer if she's not interested in bugs now for a while after the surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom