Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i got my first bearded dragon today from a pet store i work at, and typically my boss leaves the bearded dragons light on (shes about 12-14 inches long, 1 year old) all day and night. So, do i continue to do the same as they did or is it better to do the 12 hours on and 12 hours off as long as the temperature stays the same in the tank??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Why is he keeping those dragons awake all nite? It sounds like you need some help w/ your dragon-- please post pics of your tank and lighting so we can help
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree, they need a dark environment overnight to sleep. 12hrs on 12hrs off is good. Even 14 or 15hrs on is good (especially in the summer months) but you don't necessarily have to follow the sunlight cycles exactly.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hello Delilaheve! Welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, a 12-12 lights on light off cycle is better for your beardie. They need time to sleep, just like you and me. :)

To go further, you can actually allow the terrarium to cool substantially during the night.

During the day time, you want a basking spot (an area large enough for your dragons entire torso to get into) that is about 100 degrees F or 38 degrees C (this is somewhat debated, some people I have seen have healthy dragons with a basking spot as cool as 90 degrees F or as hot as 110, which is a range of 32-43 degrees C). During the day, the ambient temperature (the temperature of the tank on the cool side) should be about 80 degrees F, or 27 C, though a few degrees one side or the other is again fine. I wouldn't go lower than 75F or higher than 85F, personally.

During the night time, the temperature of your house should be perfectly fine without any other heat source, assuming that's above 65 degrees F (18 C). Ideally, 70-80 degrees F (21-27 C) is the perfect temperature for your bearded dragon overnight, but they can tolerate a temperature as low as 55 degrees F if they have to - though long term this may cause some health issues.

Hope that helps!

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
They should also have a place to hide in case they feel the need. If there are other lights on near their viv., that might also bother them at night, so having that option would improve their well being, as long as it's understood that beardies who hide all the time (and are < 1 y.o.) probably have something going on that needs addressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom