Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
I got home from school today and my beardie’s poop was very watery and not normal for him at all
103403-9973040157.jpg
please tell me if I should be worried or not

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It’s been about two weeks now and it’s still like that (although he hasn’t gone in a few days so it could be normal now) what should I do

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you feeding him and you have the proper lighting correct? UVB a Reptisun 10.0 bulb either a T 8 or T 5 -- its possible he might have parasites/ pin worms--- the only way to tell is to take a fecal to a vet and have them test it and go from there
Karrie

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He has a T8 10.0. He hasn’t been acting sick at all he’s been alert and happy. He eats mustard greens or kale every day and he gets crickets everyday as well. He also gets peppers and apples and a few other safe foods with his meals.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What is the temperature of your basking surface?
And what type of thermometer are you using?

I'd cut out the apples and peppers for a week and see what happens. They provide a lot of hydration which "could" be causing the strange stools.

But there are multiple things that can causing recurring unformed stools.

Temperature
Diet
Hydration
Shedding/stress
Parasites

So let's nail the first three first and if those all check out, it might be worth it to get a fecal check done.

-Brandon

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
His temperatures have been a little higher than usual because we’ve gotten a sudden wave of heat that’s higher than it usually is this time of year but that’s only been the last week and it’s been happening since before that. The temperature was about 97 directly under the heat lamp Normally and the basking spot temp hasn’t changed much it’s mostly his cool Side that has gone up. Now his basking temp is around 100. His cool side was around 80 normally and now it’s around 86 and I’ve been trying to cool it down all day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Check out the feeding board for a website on nutrition-- it gives other options to feed as a staple - I would try some other greens like collard and turnip or even mustard- maybe some squash - see if that doesn't straighten out the poop thing
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How old is finley?

95 or 100 might be ok for an adults basking surface, but it's a little low for a juvie.

-Brandon

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
His basking spot is made of wood right now but if I need to raise the temperature I do have a fairly large rock that is a good shape and size to use as a basking spot that would hold more heat

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You might try raising it to 105 or so and see if that too makes a difference- if he stops basking at that temp it would be too hot for him-- so watch his behavior--
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are you measuring your temps with a temp gun, digital with probe end, or dial thermometer?

Yeah if it's usually 95 like you said, that's too low for a juvie. 95 is about the minimum needed for digestion to be facilitated. it's possible his stools have been like that because he hasn't vee digesting properly.

I'd try to get it to 105 and see how that goes for a week. If no improvement, fecal check.
Hopefully though the higher heat will help him digest better :)
He shouldn't stop basking as long as you have a gradient, if he doesnt like 105 he might like the spot an inch over that's 103. The point is to give them the choice to pick their preferred temp. If it doesn't get hot enough to begin with, they have no choice.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom