Why isn’t venom shedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! It’s been a while since my last post. My beardie venom is now 9 months and 10 days old and currently 304 grams and 18 inches long. However my concern is that it’s been almost two months since his last shed! He eats twice a day as his appetite has decreased since he was a baby. The bulk of his diet consists of dark leafy greens such as collard greens, arugula, carrots and few fruits like watermelon and apples. He also still eats insects such as hornworms, super worms, wax worms and the occasional dubia roach about 4 times a week (still dusted with calcium and D3. His basking temps are 105 during the day and 80 at night. His UV is a reprisun 10.0 strip bulb with the mesh removed between the light and the beardie :) I also mist his cage every morning to imitate morning dew however he almost never drinks any of it or licks it off of anything. I am concerned that he could be slightly dehydrated as his skin sticks up if gently pinched. However he shows no other symptoms of dehydration as his eyes are bright, wide and not sunken and he is extremely happy and active during the day. He recently started bobbing his head a little bit more LOL!! (I also keep him in a 40 gallon breeder) now that his diet, lighting, tank size and general attitude and husbandry are out of the way. My question is should I expect him to grow any more? It seems a bit early for him to stop shedding and growing as I’ve seen adult beardies much bigger than him and I was wondering if this will be his maximum size and weight. I recently took him to the vet for a checkup and she said he’s in great shape and he will just shed whenever it happens and he will continue to grow for a while more but it seems to me he’s not really made much or any progress in his growth and it’s beginning to concern me. He doesn’t poop as often as before and I’m just starting to question certain things. If anyone has any ideas or an explination on his sudden stoppage in shedding/growing I’d greatly appreciate it as I really have done every ounce of research on proper husbandry and care about him growing to his max size and being in good health. I’ll attatch recent pictures of him and his enclosure for reference! Thank you!!
102023-9793373979.jpg
102023-5385122178.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My guess is the tank size-- for a dragon to get to his potential growth they recommend a 75-120 gallon tank -- from the pic it looks like hes outgrown the tank --- we had gotten a dragon years ago from the school and she was in a 20 gallon tank and she had been in it all her life and I was surprised she had even gotten as big as she was-- we moved her into a 50 gallon and she grew another 3 inches before she passed -- now mind you when we got her she was around 10 I am guessing --- so they can grow after getting into a bigger tank at that age w/ right diet and lighting ---
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks pretty healthy to me. At his age and size, he is probably close to fully grown and his growth has slowed but not stopped. At 18'' he may get a bit longer but not necessarily. He will most likely start gaining some weight as well. They can keep growing up until about 18-24 months but this really varies a lot between dragons. I'd imagine that he isn't shedding as much just because he's getting older and the sheds start to become less frequent and more patchy as they get older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom