How often to use D3 with a T5 UVB bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am seeing so much conflicting information that I don't think there is one irrefutable answer.

My 7 week old baby (intro here) is under a new and unobstructed 36" T5 10.0 Repti-Sun with a reflector.
It is exactly 12 inches above his basking rock. There are two spots he can get even closer to it which he does often.
How often should I dust with a D3 calcium product?

I see advice that I don't need D3 with a T5 UVB and I see advice to use it twice a week.
He is eating a very wide variety of foods including crickets, dubias, BSFL, collard greens, curly mustard greens, and is daily offered a salad medley that includes butternut and yellow squash, green beans, green peppers, red peppers, and orange peppers.
I use a plain calcium dust once daily.

So my question is- how often should I use a calcium product with D3?
And while I am here the broad spectrum vitamin supplement once a week should be sufficient, right?
Main question is the D3 frequency though- just so much conflicting information out there that is it difficult to decide on an optimum schedule.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yep I understand --- I used the D3 5 x per week w/ Hiccup-- and he had the T 8 at that time in his tank --- so w/ all the calcium he was getting I did see his bones here recently and he has good calcium-- he had one little spot on his back leg that looked a little weak and she said it was probably from the way he was sitting but other wise he was good for the calcium levels in his bones --etc... so I guess its up to you and some others on here can weigh in on this as well - I am still giving the D 3 to him when he gets his bugs but I also alternate the vitamins between the 2 so on that note I was giving him vitamins 2 times per week then as well -- dont know if that will help but like I said some others here can give feedback too
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You can buy calcium powder that is not D3 fortified.

If you are using a T5ho 12%UVB or T5ho 14%UVB , w/ a good reflector hood , it's under the mesh lid, and the level of UV is strong enough , you don't need vitD3 calcium .

HoopDiddyDiddy

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1lsfjei9 said:

If you are using a T5ho 12%UVB or T5ho 14%UVB , w/ a good reflector hood , it's under the mesh lid, and the level of UV is strong enough , you don't need vitD3 calcium .

Yes, I have calcium with no D3.
My T5 HO is a Reptisun 10.0 under the mesh with a reflector.
So do I need to use D3 and if so how often?

Seems like there is no one answer.
Unless I hear otherwise I'm splitting the difference and going with D3 once a week, calcium alone four times a week, and the multi-vitamin twice a week.
Thinking seriously about switching to Repashy Calcium Plus purely to simplify all this.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
HoopDiddyDiddy":1t4ak1h6 said:
kingofnobbys":1t4ak1h6 said:

Yes, I have calcium with no D3.
My T5 HO is a Reptisun 10.0 under the mesh with a reflector.
So do I need to use D3 and if so how often?

Seems like there is no one answer.
Unless I hear otherwise I'm splitting the difference and going with D3 once a week, calcium alone four times a week, and the multi-vitamin twice a week.
Thinking seriously about switching to Repashy Calcium Plus purely to simplify all this.

If your t5ho 10%UVB or higher is in a reflector hood , under the mesh , and optimum distance from the basking spot to give UVB flux above 160 microW UVB / sq.cm to 200 microW UVB / sq.cm , I don't think you need to supplement with artificial VitD3 orally at all as the dragon should be able to create all the natural VitD3 via photosynthesis in the skin when basking that it needs.

I don't think supplementing with VitD3 fortified Ca like so many keepers think they need to do is doing their dragons any favours , and since the rate of uptake of dietary Ca is limited / buffered by the level of serum VitD3 , the risk is insufficient metabolisation of Ca and the problems this caused PLUS a condition called Hypervitaminosis D (==> VitD toxicity) is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause nausea and vomiting, weakness, and frequent urination. Symptoms might progress to bone pain and kidney problems, such as the formation of calcium stones.

Most vets find it very hard to diagnose Hypervitaminosis D and can confuse it with Hypercalcemia without ever addressing the route cause <=== too much VitD3 .

HoopDiddyDiddy

Original Poster
Thank you.
I didn't think I needed D3 either but then so many posters kept going on about it that I doubted my decision.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The amount of vit d3 in supplements is so small. You're not going to see toxic levels of d3 reached through normal supplementing even with a strong uvb.

Where d3 supp does come into play is as a safety net. What if you got a bad bulb and used it for 6 months or a year? A poster here just bought a megaray and happened to have a uvi meter and found it to be defective. What if that person didn't have that expensive sensor? What if they decide no supplemental d3 either since it's a strong bulb.

Point is calc +d3 is a safety net. And it will not cause toxic levels of d3 in the blood from using it a few days a week. Even with a strong bulb.

-Brandon

HoopDiddyDiddy

Original Poster
Yeah, I figure D3 once a week (ish) and frequent bulb replacement is key. Next time I will have more time to shop and will be able to hold out for the Arcadia 12%.
And again, likely switch to the Repashy product in the future just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom