sand in viv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
HI just a quick one my 2 year old laid eggs a few weeks ago I didn't know what was going on so didn't make a lay box or anything at the time and now feel awful but she managed. She's exhibiting the same behaviours again so I've quickly gone to get some sand and made her a nice lay box but every time I put her in she licks the sand and I'm worried that sh'es going to swallow it and then without digging she tries to get out the lay box and back to her viv. She seems to be having a nasty shed at the moment so I'm wondering if that's causing her behaviour rather than been gravid again as I can't feel any eggs although she is eating me out of house and home at the moment I've never known her eat so much. Anyway back to my point I have to go away for a couple of days I have someone to feed her, clean the viv etc but not sure they will be around enough to worry about maintaining a lay box so would I be ok putting sand in one side of her viv so if she needs to dig she can do it there or is it too much of an impaction risk?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can def. put a smaller laybox right in the tank. Here's one I used for some of my females.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30026/full

It's a plastic container about 22" L by 7-8" H by 12 " W. Fill it about 3/4 with damp sand or mix with sand, plain topsoil + coco fiber from pet store. It needs to be damp enough to hold it's shape when the dragon digs. I cut a corner off the lid to act as an entrance + prop a log or large rock next to it so they could easily climb in.

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":k1zi2uy3 said:
You can def. put a smaller laybox right in the tank. Here's one I used for some of my females.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30026/full

It's a plastic container about 22" L by 7-8" H by 12 " W. Fill it about 3/4 with damp sand or mix with sand, plain topsoil + coco fiber from pet store. It needs to be damp enough to hold it's shape when the dragon digs. I cut a corner off the lid to act as an entrance + prop a log or large rock next to it so they could easily climb in.

Thanks AHBD I'll get it set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom