Beardie isn’t pooping, tried all the usual fixes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! My girl Jalapeño (11 months old) hasn’t pooped in a bit over a week. Her temps are 105F on hot side and 82F on cold side. We feed her veggies every day (chard with occasional butternut squash) and have been feeding her crickets every other day recently because she’s been getting kind of chunky (most recently weighed in at 500g and hasn’t been losing weight with new feeding schedule).

A few months ago I took her to the vet for bad poops, and we got meds for parasites which seemed to work for a little while. Now she’s been pooping less and less with this being the longest she’s gone. We’ve put her in the bath every day to no avail.

I’m going to take her to the vet soon if there’s no change. Any ideas on why this may be happening? She’s relatively active and normal otherwise.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow thats a big girl for 7 months old lol.

What meds were prescribed? Was a fecal actually done? What was found?

Depending on what was used, parasite meds can be pretty tough on their systems, and they can disrupt that natural gut bacteria that helps them digest. I would imagine that there is a bit of GIT distress but that would really depend I suppose on what was used.

A week without a BM isn't really too concerning. I know it's hard to not worry, especially with what you're going through but its very common especially as they get older/larger.

Do you have a picture of her and your setup we could see?

-Brandon

jalapenothebeardie

Original Poster
She’s 11 months old, actually! And the medication was called Ponazuril, 100mg/mL. I can get some photos of her and her enclosure later this evening!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
0.3ml olive oil by mouth every other day , keep her warm , and she'll likely deliver in a few days.

If not pooed for 2 weeks , cut back on the solids , so they don't accumulate and rot in her gut, consider contacting a reptile vet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree , this is VERY common and she will pass it soon enough. As was mentioned, olive oil can help but other natural laxatives are canned pumpkin, baby food sweet potato , squash, green bean and a few drops of raw honey. Let her run around in a warm safe room + give an extra warm bath. No need for a vet, she will go after a few weeks , they always do. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom