Constipated beardie? Recommended constipation remedies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie has seemed strange ever since Monday, and I posted about some issues he seemed to be having with balance and lethargy on the ER forum... but I no longer see a twitch or balance problem. However, lethargy remains (he plops down instead of propping up when basking, and closes his eyes like he is sleepy in the middle of the day, which he never used to do. Doesn't actually seem to sleep, though.)

He has not pooped in almost a week now, and I noticed today that he got down from his basking log several times and went to his "litter box" (yes, my beardie trained me to make a litter box for him -- he removed all the food from his food dish one day and decided to poop right in the middle of the dish. Cleanup was already easy since I use nonadhesive liner as flooring, but removing a dish would be even easier, so I went ahead and gave it a try to see if that's truly what he wanted. Sure enough, he goes out of his way to try to make sure he always poops in the dish!), and he sat there with his rear down and tail up, really looked like he was trying to poop. But every time, he has this pose for about 5 minutes, nothing happens, and he seems to give up and go back to basking spot.

Seems like he really wants to go, but just can't. I'm unsure how much of all of this I should chalk up to getting older (he is now a little over a year old), and how much could be sickness. Unlikely to be impaction as there is no sort of substrate he could have eaten, and I rarely even feed him mealworms.

However, I do feed him a fair bit of dry foods, and I'm wondering if those could have caused constipation? This has been about 5 dried black soldier fly larvae each day, and about 5 red Flukers pellets (in addition to live dubia and collard greens, green beans, peas, and an occasional raspberry.)

If so... what are some good remedies to move things along? Searching the forum, I have seen some recommendations for baby food prunes, squash, sweet potato, or a drop of olive oil. Regarding these: are one of these more effective than the rest? For olive oil, should it be extra virgin or some other type? What about lettuce... I've heard that could cause diarrhea, so could it help?

I tried giving Ash a couple warm baths and massaging his belly a bit, but that didn't seem to do anything, so I'm onto plan B because I'm getting a little worried about his health and I love this little guy.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sweet potato keeps them regular- I have used baby prunes on Hiccup 2 times - .5ml - you can try that in a syringe-
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you sure the Ash is male & not female?
Those drier foods & pellets probably didn't dry him up too badly or constipate him, but you
can try some various foods to help move things along.
I would avoid straight lettuce though, so you don't cause him to get diarrhea because then he
will get dehydrated. Just try using some canned unspiced canned pumpkin, or unsweetened
apple sauce, mixed with squash or sweet potato baby food. You can use pureed prune baby
food also. Add a drop or two or olive or coconut oil & just give daily. That should help out if he
is constipated to some extent.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom