Could my beardie be partially blind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggyjessie

I’ve noticed that it looks like Puff has trouble seeing up close. Earlier I went to stroke his beard and held my hand in front of him for a few seconds to make sure he saw me coming, but he didn’t seem to notice me and appeared startled when I touched him. (But wasn’t startled when I stroked his back right after)
Sometimes when I hold supers in front of him with tweezers he doesn’t seem to notice them, but when I start pulling it away he quickly realized and goes for it. Sometimes when I drop it in front of him he realizes and goes for it, but other times he tries to bite the tweezers instead of going for the worm.
There are also times when I have him on my bed and he will run up to the wall and stop or slow down when he starts getting close, but keeps bumping his nose off of it and occasionally starts “glass surfing” the walls (though their bright blue/turquoise colour could be a factor)

He only seems to have issues up close

He’s 4 years old and lived under a coil uvb pretty much his whole life until I realized it was potentially harmful, and got him a new one in March (now has a reptisun t5 10.0 tube). His substrate is repticarpet but it’s old and I plan on switching to tile.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I believe they are not good at focusing on close objects unless it moves , and have poor depth perception (this is why dragons will often run or crawl into doors and walls when out for free range time).

Ziggyjessie

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1ukbxk2h said:
I believe they are not good at focusing on close objects unless it moves , and have poor depth perception (this is why dragons will often run or crawl into doors and walls when out for free range time).

Do you know if there’s anything I could do to stop him from running into the wall?(besides grabbing him every time) He does it every time I have him on the bed, as if he’s trying to step right through it lol

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ziggyjessie":3cw4rv5d said:
kingofnobbys":3cw4rv5d said:

Do you know if there’s anything I could do to stop him from running into the wall?(besides grabbing him every time) He does it every time I have him on the bed, as if he’s trying to step right through it lol

Only having things there that break up the surface appearance (it's the uniform shading/coloring that mucks them up - think like driving in very thick fog (hard to focus).

If they are out for free range time regularly in the same area of the house , they learn the lay of the land and where the walls and doors are and this reduces the collisions.

my beardie has a similar problem where she just can't see as well out of one of her eyes. We can only feed her from the side she can see on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom