Paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpalAndZayde

Hatchling Member
Hello! Me and my dad very recently built a new vivarium for my beardie, Felix. it's 46"x24"x24". We spray painted it outside yesterday (without him in it of course. :lol: ) then put a fan in it overnight to take out most of the fumes. I put him in it this morning, and it smelled a tiny bit like paint still, I was wondering if the fumes could be toxic to him? One more thing, I noticed his teeth are a bit black, is that just stains? :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not sure about the paint--- the smell should dissipate tho I would think -- teeth being black? How old is your dragon?
Karrie

OpalAndZayde

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. And we got him off of craigslist, and on their post, they said he was 6, but when we went to pick him up, they said he was 4. So not too sure on his age, and his teeth are a brown/black ish color in some spots. I've read about it and figured it was just stains, but I just want to make sure. :?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I dont know for sure -- some one else would haft to chime in on this that has more experience--- I dont think they are supposed to be that color and its possible it could be mouth rot- I guess I would wait to see what someone else says and it might be you may need to take him to a vet - a reptile vet-- what is he eating and is he eating good?
Karrie

OpalAndZayde

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, :) and He eats pretty well, a diet of mostly pepper, apple, cucumber, carrot, dandelion, and some random fruits and vegetables every now and then. and he also gets crickets sometimes. I am not bale to take him to a reptile vet.. but I have done some research and it looks like its just stains on his teeth.. Do you have any idea how to tell an age?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No I am sorry I dont--- I would feed him greens like mustard collard and turnip -- try some squash like zucchini or yellow or butter nut -- the cucumber really has no nutritional value and green pepper should not really be fed as a staple as well - green beans are good but the greens listed above are more of a staple food for them- the crickets should be offered 2 times per week being dusted w/ calcium D3 and rotated w/ vitamins as well -- what kind of UVB are you using and is it inside the tank or on top of the screen? You could also try some dubia roaches for him / her --- they are a staple feeder like your crickets but are better for them --- they too should be offered 2 times per week like the crickets w/ the vitamins and D3--- I would post some pics of your beardie and his / her mouth so the more experienced on here can see -- we have a vet moderator on here that could help as well -- her name is Drache613 (Tracie) she could look and let you know what is going on or AHBD too -
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you smell any fumes their is still a chemical reaction in progress and VOCs are going to be being released. I would keep him out of the enclosure until their is no smell. This can take up to and over a week just so you're aware.

If there is a smell, it's not done curing yet.

-Brandon

OpalAndZayde

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you both so much for your replies! I will start adding more greens! And crickets! Thanks for your recommendation for vets on here. And he has a reptisun compact UVB coil. I am trying to switch to a T5. And I will try and get a picture for you of his teeth. And I put him back in his old tank for now. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I recommend getting rid of the coil-- they are not very good- the T 5 or a T 8 would be way better-- please ask for more help if you need it
Karrie

OpalAndZayde

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I will! One more thing, I went to check on him when he was still in the new painted tank, and he was asleep on the floor... Heat lamps where on. Is this normal? Also, the lights where off in the rest of the room

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would move him back to old tank and get your UVB changed out ASAP-- what is the basking temp in his tank -- mine sleeps on the floor of his tank sometimes too-- I don't know what you have for decor in the tank -- like hides- stuff to climb on etc...
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Could have been the fumes affecting him if he doesnt normally act that way. Some fresh air should do him nicely.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They all grow at different rates. Makes ir difficult to give ab accurate age range unfortunately. The best bet is to just figure how long you've had him and how old he most likely was when you bought him.

-Brandon

OpalAndZayde

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, thats what I figured. and they said he was 6 on craigslist, but when we got him they said he was 4. so he could be 4-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom