Smite “sleeps” a lot, Cage is not warming up

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSmite

We moved at the beginning of the year and since then our Smite hasn’t moved much. He’s found comfort in this one area, but doesn’t care to do ANYTHING. I thought he was “hibernating” but this seems like too long. After I got him out today, I noticed how cold he was. So I’m thinking his enclosure is not heating up as I thought. Any suggestions would be great!

P.S. I'm open to any suggestions to make his life even better!
99170-7257222757.jpg
99170-4887491870.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are the temps in his tank? Specifically his basking area?
What are you using to measure temps?

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
what kind of UVB is it and this is what we recommend on this forum for UVB --Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- this is crucial for their over all health and effects their behavior as well --
You need to get basking temps? Do you have a Infrared Heat Gun to do that? They are the most accurate for getting temps and can be bought at Walmart Home Depot or Lowes for around $10- what are all those fixtures on top of your tank? I take it hes not eating either? What about pooping? What is the wattage of the heat bulb for basking-- you do need to get the temp tho first before things get changed out -- I dont see any type of thermometer in that tank -- you should have a digital probe in there for ambient temps-- you can take basking temps of where he normally sits but the IR is best for that and the probe is good for just to basically get a idea of what the temp is - I have one digital on my cool side of tank and a dial on my basking side but that is just for ball park figure of what temp is on that side of tank and I use the IR for his actual temp for basking -- he looks thin in the picture
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom