Undersized and underweight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

The first month with my beardie has been a struggle (as you can tell by my post history lol). This weekend had me really worried as he stopped eating and got lethargic. I took him to the vet yesterday and found out that he tested positive for protozoa and pinworms. He took his first round of meds yesterday. I forgot to ask the vet a few questions because I was so worried about him. So:

1. When should his appetite start to come back?

2. He seems very undersized for his approximate age. He is about 7 to 7.5 inches long from tip to snout and weighed in at 9 grams yesterday. The vet didn't seem worried about his size but he seems very small to me. My guess is that he is about 2 to 2.5 months old. Could this be because of the parasites? Who knows how long he has had them, could have been the entire month that I've had him.

Any suggestions for me while he is getting meds?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The medical questions about his meds/ and appetite will haft to be answered by either AHBD or Drache613 our vet moderator-- what kind of lighting do you have for your tank and where is it?
Karrie

Whyitsdonut

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3bxmqzc3 said:
The medical questions about his meds/ and appetite will haft to be answered by either AHBD or Drache613 our vet moderator-- what kind of lighting do you have for your tank and where is it?
Karrie

T5 uvb tube arcadia 12% mounted to the inside of the tank. Was on top of the tank for the first three weeks and then last week I mounted it inside the tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok thats good --- did you notice a difference in the behavior after that? I am sure the meds has had an effect on his eating -- you can call the vet and ask them the question you posted here -- I am guessing the vet didnt say anything about giving him a probiotic while on the med-- what did they exactly put him on ? Lets see if AHBD or Drache613 responds to this post
Karrie

Whyitsdonut

Original Poster
KarrieRee":41vkdhg1 said:
ok thats good --- did you notice a difference in the behavior after that? I am sure the meds has had an effect on his eating -- you can call the vet and ask them the question you posted here -- I am guessing the vet didnt say anything about giving him a probiotic while on the med-- what did they exactly put him on ? Lets see if AHBD or Drache613 responds to this post
Karrie

Yeah I noticed a little difference but I think the parasites were bothering him so much at that point that it didn't show too much. They put him on metronidazole and fenbendazole.

I'm just worried that he's super underweight for his age. I see other ones at the pet store that are about his age and they are twice his size. I was hoping that getting one from a respected breeder would be good but so far this little guy has been pretty sick.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok send a PM to TracieDrache613 or AHBD --- click on their names and under their email it says send PM
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He does sound a bit small. Can you post some photos of him? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Those meds are relatively mild and should be effective, but he's still quite small so may be a bit more affected by them than usual. Drip water on his nose to lick up so he has some extra hydration during treatment. Hopefully that will do the trick and he'll start feeling better soon.

Whyitsdonut

Original Poster
103625-3787998087.jpg
CooperDragon":14146wxg said:
He does sound a bit small. Can you post some photos of him? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Those meds are relatively mild and should be effective, but he's still quite small so may be a bit more affected by them than usual. Drip water on his nose to lick up so he has some extra hydration during treatment. Hopefully that will do the trick and he'll start feeling better soon.
103625-8362036845.jpg
103625-3737398936.jpg

I'm thinking maybe having the worms this young has delayed his growth? As far as water I do a few drops each day but he never drinks them he gets a 10 minute bath every other day

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Aww poor guy-- hope he recovers soon-- it's good your keeping him hydrated- but I am thinking he will bounce back :)
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom