Fatigue and refusing to eat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alice has had two owners before I rescued her. Her first kept her in an incredibly tiny box for her first year of life, and it stunted her growth for that she was only about 6 inches long. The guy I got her from rescued her, and he gave her a better tank and living conditions. However, his life fell apart and he didn’t feel like he could care for her anymore. When I rescued her, she was incredibly skinny and dull in color. He had had her in sand, so she developed something in left eye where mucus would occasionally stick her eyelids together and sand would stick to it. This was about 2 years ago. Since then, her color has improved dramatically and she no longer is experiencing the eye thing. However, her weight has always been all over the place. I’ve never been able to get her to look like a “healthy” bearded dragon. She gets collard greens and carrots or peppers everyday. Every other day, she gets this with super worms (to help her gain weight) with vitamins. Occasionally I will get her little crickets, but she is terrible at hunting them. It takes her over a half hour to eat three. Lately when I’ve gotten them for her I’ve had to disable them (I feel terrible about this) for that they lay still in front of her but still twitch for that she notices them.

She just went through brumation. It ended sometime in February. She was still very calm when she woke up, but I though nothing of it because that’s her normal temperament. She ended up being terribly sick and nearly died. She had mucos coming from her nose and later mouth. She lost a ton of weight and the ability to move her left arm (didn’t realize that for awhile because she didn’t move anyway). I only realized what a terrible situation she was in when I went to give her a bath and she let herself sink. That night, I rushed over to Petco to get her some reptaboost. This was last week.

I did one day of feeding her the critical care around (50%) and I’ve now been feeding her 100% since then. She seems to have regained some strength in her arm but it still shakes a lot. The other day I put a worm in front of her to see if she wanted it, but she just went back to sleep. The mucus has stopped from her mouth but has continued to come from her nose. She is still sleeping for 99% of her day. That 1% is spent pooping.

I have her in a 60 gallon tank with a reptisun 10.0 UVB. Her basking area is around 95-100 degrees. Her cool area is about 70 degrees. Her night temperatures fall to about 65-70 degrees. She has a hide, but she’s only used it twice. During brumation she stays up on her basking rock or goes into her tree.

I feel like I’ve failed her. And I know it’s terrible, but I almost want to give her up for adoption. Not so much because she’s sick, because I can deal with sick, but the fact that she’s so...non-interactive. I got a bearded dragon because of how social they are. Alice has been like that, runnining around and getting into trouble like a toddler, but it never lasts more than a week. I need an animal that is social and fun and challenging. She’s not so much challenging, as she is worrisome. I want to get ferrets, but I’m order to do that I would most likely have to rehome Alice and I cannot do that. I hate people that get animals, get bored, give them away, and try something else. I did heavy research everyday for 3 months before I got her, so I thought I knew what I was getting myself into. I don’t know what to do.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Can you post a pic of her tank and lighting- I cant help you w/ the gaining weight thing but I guess I am wondering what kind of lighting you have for her and where in the tank it is-- have you tried dubia roaches -- ? others on here can help w/ the weight gain thing - I am so glad you took her in and have tried to help her -- dont give up on her there is more that you can do to help her get back to a better health situation--- I agree people have no business getting these animals if they are not aware of what they are getting into -- they are definitely not a kids pet for sure -- and I see so many people getting them for their kids -- the mucous thing almost sounds like its a RI --
Karrie

Beardiealice

Original Poster
As soon as I get home I’ll take a picture. Her UVB is inside the tank, probably about 10 inches away from her. If stretches about 2/3 of the viv. Her basking bulb is just above her basking area.

I was just looking at new bugs for her, actually. I’ve done hornworms for her before and she gobbled those right up but they’re sooo expensive. She isn’t fast enough for crickets nor does she show very much interest. She just sits with her eyes closed. So I don’t think she’s be able to catch a Dubai. I only disable the crickets because otherwise she can’t get to them fast enough.

And for the RI, I used to think that but wouldn’t she have already passed away? The mucous from her mouth was likely from dehydration since it went away after she drank and I gave her fluids via a syringe.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What about vegies? She should be eating mustard collard turnip greens squash green beans fruit apples strawberries blueberries no Citrus-- bugs should only be once or twice a week -- the critical care should be putting weight on--
Karrie

Beardiealice

Original Poster
She gets collard greens every day. I switch between peppers and carrots and sometime butternut squash. I’ve tried strawberries and she doesn’t like them and the same goes for mustard greens.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Does she still have mucous coming out of her mouth and I am not sure about passing away-- we need pics of her and tank--- lighting so when you get home please post-- traciedrache613 is our vet moderator she can answer and recommend things for you-- you can PM her or maybe some other more experience people on here can advise you as well-- poor girl hope you can get this cleared up soon--
Karrie

Beardiealice

Original Poster
I haven’t seen any mucus from her mouth since I started reptaboost. She still has it coming from her nose and it’s from both sides. She’s looking a lot better than a week ago, but I can’t get her to eat real food. The only times she moves is when I feed her by the syringe, when she needs to poop, and if I pick her up she’ll flail sometimes.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok well please PM Tracie or AHBD she can help too-- pictures of her will help
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Find her name on board click on it on left side of page under her email there is PM message same w/ AHBD---
Karrie

Beardiealice

Original Poster
104053-3493032972.jpg
Here are some pictures of her this afternoon
104053-9385138424.jpg
104053-3493032972.jpg
104053-8376973606.jpg
104053-7194859138.jpg
104053-5201302501.jpg
104053-2677249457.jpg
104053-9067110167.jpg

Those sunken areas on her head keep going up and down day by the day

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok thanks for posting-- that's going to help w/ Tracie and AHBD--- what is the UVB you have in tank--- what kind is it?
Karrie

Beardiealice

Original Poster
So Alice pooped a lot yesterday but her belly is still very bloated. Should I feed her her usual 5.0 ml of reptaboost?Also, when I took her out earlier she crawled around a tiny bit but she was limping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom