When to do a fecal exam?

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

When to do a fecal exam?

Postby Lexylexyy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:32 am

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

Hi there! When should a bearded dragon get a fecal exam? And should they get fecal exams every few months?

My baby beardie is 6 inches long :)
Lexylexyy
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: When to do a fecal exam?

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:54 am

A fecal exam can be done 2 times per year- I guess it depends on how often you want to take your bearded dragon in- I get mine in 2 times per year-- usually in the fall before brumation and in the spring- I also had blood work done this last time just so we have something to go by the next time its done- but then again its up to you- its always good to get a repore going w/ your vet about your dragon and they can get to better know him before he gets sick
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Lexylexyy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:03 am

KarrieRee wrote:A fecal exam can be done 2 times per year- I guess it depends on how often you want to take your bearded dragon in- I get mine in 2 times per year-- usually in the fall before brumation and in the spring- I also had blood work done this last time just so we have something to go by the next time its done- but then again its up to you- its always good to get a repore going w/ your vet about your dragon and they can get to better know him before he gets sick
Karrie

Thank u karrie! Since fall isn’t for another few months, should I just wait on then?
Lexylexyy
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:31 am

How long have you had him? Is he still showing signs of relocation stress? If hes not quite settled in I would wait - we are still in spring and you can always get him in to a reptile vet for a check up like in May sometime or even June-- the warmer the better outside - I live in MN so its cold here still or chilly I should say --- I try an do it every 6 months but it depends on the weather here too -
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Lexylexyy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:57 am

KarrieRee wrote:How long have you had him? Is he still showing signs of relocation stress? If hes not quite settled in I would wait - we are still in spring and you can always get him in to a reptile vet for a check up like in May sometime or even June-- the warmer the better outside - I live in MN so its cold here still or chilly I should say --- I try an do it every 6 months but it depends on the weather here too -
Karrie

I’ve had him for a month now! He’s not showing anymore location stress. He’s eating, sleeping, basking well, staying active, and pooping well!
Lexylexyy
Hatchling Poster

Postby AHBD » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:02 am

Hi there, I would hold off until he's much larger unless he starts showing signs of losing weight, going off food, etc.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Lexylexyy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:31 am

AHBD wrote:Hi there, I would hold off until he's much larger unless he starts showing signs of losing weight, going off food, etc.

Awesome. Will do! Thank u!!
Lexylexyy
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health