Beard scales rounded/swollen??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnchrisman

Hello,
I have been searching on the internet for a while and can’t seem to find anything like this. I rescued a bearded dragon and he has an area of scales on his neck that are mostly dark and almost bulbous. What is this??

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't seen that before. The swelling of the scales makes me think infection of some sort. It's probably a good idea to have a vet check it out and see what's going on under the scales. If they can get a sample, then it can be tested and treated. It's possibly the result of a burn too. Have the affected scales grown or has the issue appeared to spread over time? The fact that the rest of his beard is nice and orange is a good sign though and shows he isn't in distress.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree that's very odd looking. It may be a fungal infection, best to have it checked by an experienced reptile vet.

gnchrisman

Original Poster
CooperDragon":47z3wi70 said:
I haven't seen that before. The swelling of the scales makes me think infection of some sort. It's probably a good idea to have a vet check it out and see what's going on under the scales. If they can get a sample, then it can be tested and treated. It's possibly the result of a burn too. Have the affected scales grown or has the issue appeared to spread over time? The fact that the rest of his beard is nice and orange is a good sign though and shows he isn't in distress.

It seems to have spread a little. The big scales/spikes seem to be covered in tiny scales. They’re textured for sure

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK. Yeah I think a skin test is in order at least. That will help determine what's going on and hopefully begin treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom