Page 1 of 1

Parasite Treatment Options???

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:39 am
by MelRun2129
[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

I am so thankful for this site and refer to it whenever I’m looking for information. I have searched previous parasite posts and I’m still feeling conflicted.

So we have a 6 month old and have had him for 4 months. We have noticed as of late, his feces has been smelling similar to rotten eggs. The consistency seems normal, but the smell! It will stink up the entire upstairs within minutes. So I decided to take him in and have a fecal test done to check for parasites. Oh by the way his behavior has been normal, eats like a pig, alert during the day.... Anyway the vet checked him and said physically he looks perfect and said we were taking care of him very well. But the test results came back with high levels of coccidia and pinworms. I asked what the levels were and he said they are at 30 and he’d like to see the level down to around 10-15. So he prescribed the medication and I am to pick it up today. We are a family that likes to go the more holistic/natural route whenever possible and I saw on a post that oregano, basil, cilantro, and parsley can be used to treat it? Should we try this since he is still eating and active? Or should we give him the medication since his levels are high?

Thank you!

Re: Parasite Treatment Options???

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:10 pm
by CooperDragon
Don't mess with coccidia. You want to keep any surfaces that come in contact with poop well sanitized. Use F10 or ammonia to sanitize after cleaning. That will help prevent re-infection after treatment. Panacur is quite effective against the pinworms and Ponazuril should be able to take care of the coccidia.

Re: Parasite Treatment Options???

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:07 pm
by MelRun2129
CooperDragon wrote:Don't mess with coccidia. You want to keep any surfaces that come in contact with poop well sanitized. Use F10 or ammonia to sanitize after cleaning. That will help prevent re-infection after treatment. Panacur is quite effective against the pinworms and Ponazuril should be able to take care of the coccidia.


Ok, thank you. I just picked up the meds and looked and they gave us Albon. And now I’m reading on other posts that it’s harsh on their systems???

Re: Parasite Treatment Options???

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:34 am
by Drache613
Moved by Moderator from General to Health

Re: Parasite Treatment Options???

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:37 am
by Drache613
Hello,

Yes, Albon is a relatively harsh medication on their system. What is the dose you are giving
to your dragon, or have you given it yet?
The best thing if you are going to use it is to be sure & keep your dragon well hydrated for the
time he is on the meds. It would be a good idea to consider using a probiotic as well to help
his system out too.

Tracie

Re: Parasite Treatment Options???

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:28 am
by MelRun2129
Drache613 wrote:Hello,

Yes, Albon is a relatively harsh medication on their system. What is the dose you are giving
to your dragon, or have you given it yet?
The best thing if you are going to use it is to be sure & keep your dragon well hydrated for the
time he is on the meds. It would be a good idea to consider using a probiotic as well to help
his system out too.

Tracie


Thank you Tracie. The vet prescribed .3ml once a day for 3 days and then every other day for 10 days.

Re: Parasite Treatment Options???

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:08 am
by MelRun2129
We just finished the medication for Coccidia. Luckily our little guy didn’t seem to experience any side effects. Is it safe to sanitize all of his “furniture” and put it back in his home now? Or should I wait until after the treatment for pinworms?

Thank you!!!

Re: Parasite Treatment Options???

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:14 am
by CooperDragon
You can put the furniture back. Just be sure to clean and sanitize anything that comes in contact with poop.

Re: Parasite Treatment Options???

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:18 pm
by MelRun2129
CooperDragon wrote:You can put the furniture back. Just be sure to clean and sanitize anything that comes in contact with poop.


Thank you!

Re: Parasite Treatment Options???

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:20 am
by MelRun2129
Hello,

We finished the treatments a couple weeks ago and now the poor baby has been having diarrhea. Oh by the way, we found out he is a SHE! She has still had an appetite. Not as much as usual though. I ordered probiotics from beautifuldragons and it has been shipped because I was thinking maybe her good bacteria was destroyed as well. I don’t have any other ideas what could be causing her to have diarrhea. Any thoughts?

Re: Parasite Treatment Options???

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:50 am
by CooperDragon
It could be upset stomach from the treatment or just coincidence. The probiotics are certainly worth a try. Hopefully it will settle down over the next couple of weeks.

Re: Parasite Treatment Options???

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:46 am
by DorgEndo
Did your vet get a second sample to confirm the treatment lowered the parasite levels? Or will they recheck later after pinworm treatment?

I imagine there has to be a recheck somewhere in the future.

Re: Parasite Treatment Options???

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:27 pm
by MelRun2129
CooperDragon wrote:It could be upset stomach from the treatment or just coincidence. The probiotics are certainly worth a try. Hopefully it will settle down over the next couple of weeks.


Thank you!

Re: Parasite Treatment Options???

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:28 pm
by MelRun2129
DorgEndo wrote:Did your vet get a second sample to confirm the treatment lowered the parasite levels? Or will they recheck later after pinworm treatment?

I imagine there has to be a recheck somewhere in the future.

Yes, we will be testing again to confirm.