Funny way of sleeping

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Funny way of sleeping

Postby BeardedDragonSteve » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:28 am

So sometimes I turn on my beardies lights on and he is sleeping vertically should I be concerned.
Got Crickets?
BeardedDragonSteve
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Funny way of sleeping

Postby Ellentomologist » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:12 am

Hiya,

The answer to this is a bit complicated... Can you post a picture?

The short answer is "probably not, no" as a lot of perfectly healthy, happy animals with good setups end up sleeping like this for whatever reason.

The long answer is maybe yes, a little? Sleeping like this often indicated that the tank is the wrong temperature or the animal lacks enrichment objects - ei a better place to lay down in sleep.

Guac slept like this for a few weeks when I first moved him into his larger tank. I added a split log on a whim and he never slept like that again, instead sleeping on or under the split log.

I personally would try offering a couple more hides or perches and checking your temperatures.

Hope that helps,
-Ellen
About me: Lab Manager in CDB studying for graduate school. Keep many invertebrates, reptiles, and amphibians, but only one BD named Guacamole. HUGE DnD and tabletop RPG nerd. Sorry if I post the same info right after someone else does, I tend to open many tabs and not refresh.
Ellentomologist
Hatchling Poster

Postby claudiusx » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:23 am

Hi there,

Check this thread out :)
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=141955

-Brandon
claudiusx

Postby BeardedDragonSteve » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:00 am

Ellentomologist wrote:Hiya,

The answer to this is a bit complicated... Can you post a picture?

The short answer is "probably not, no" as a lot of perfectly healthy, happy animals with good setups end up sleeping like this for whatever reason.

The long answer is maybe yes, a little? Sleeping like this often indicated that the tank is the wrong temperature or the animal lacks enrichment objects - ei a better place to lay down in sleep.

Guac slept like this for a few weeks when I first moved him into his larger tank. I added a split log on a whim and he never slept like that again, instead sleeping on or under the split log.

I personally would try offering a couple more hides or perches and checking your temperatures.

Hope that helps,
-Ellen

I think he is perfectly fine because this is the first time.
Got Crickets?
BeardedDragonSteve
Hatchling Poster

Postby Aaradimian » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:56 pm

BeardedDragonSteve wrote:So sometimes I turn on my beardies lights on and he is sleeping vertically should I be concerned.

Probably perfectly normal (for a beardie) :lol:

Here's my little dummkopf, and, yes, I found him asleep in the same position later that evening :roll:
[Click image to enlarge]
Aaradimian
Juvie Poster

Postby BeardedDragonSteve » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:58 pm

Aaradimian wrote:
BeardedDragonSteve wrote:So sometimes I turn on my beardies lights on and he is sleeping vertically should I be concerned.

Probably perfectly normal (for a beardie) :lol:

Here's my little dummkopf, and, yes, I found him asleep in the same position later that evening :roll:
[Click image to enlarge]

Is that a custom vivarium?
Got Crickets?
BeardedDragonSteve
Hatchling Poster

Postby Aaradimian » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:42 am

Is that a custom vivarium?

Yep, I converted an old built-in wall unit. It has required some creativity to heat but other than that, it's been a success.

[Click image to enlarge]
Aaradimian
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health