New beardie owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessg

I’ve been reading up and looking into bearded dragons for awhile now. I had everything set up and ready, was just looking around from breeders for the perfect dragon.
Although sweet, my boyfriend surprised me with one from petsmart, which makes me nervous lol.
I know it takes a few days for them to get adjusted, but any idea how long until my lil one will want to eat?
He drank a few drops today. And started finally moving around tonight (stayed in one spot mostly).
He does seem a bit dehydrated from his skin staying stuck in place. Should I give him baths his soon? Or wait a bit. He’s got a lot of stress marks already..
I should add that his basking temp is about 100 F.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
It can take them a few days to adjust to their new home for sure. In the mean time you can list your set up, what you’re feeding and post some pictures and see if there is anything lacking that may be causing additional stress to the relocation. For starters I would try and get that basking temp up to 105-110 for the little one. I’m assuming he is a little baby coming from PetSmart. When they are very tiny they need a 105-110 basking spot. You can get a dropper and drop water on his nose to try and hydrate him right now too.

Relocation stress can last for a couple of days to a couple of weeks. Perfecting your husbandry can reduce the stress and hopefully snap your little one out of it and getting him going.

Jessg

Original Poster
kmwilson042182":3mx87y7d said:
It can take them a few days to adjust to their new home for sure. In the mean time you can list your set up, what you’re feeding and post some pictures and see if their is anything lacking that may be causing additional stress to the relocation. For starters I would try and get that basking temp up to 105-110 for the little one. I’m assuming he is a little baby coming from PetSmart. When they are very tiny they need a 105-110 basking spot. You can get a dropper and drop water on his nose to try and hydrate him right now too.

Relocation stress can last for a couple of days to a couple of weeks. Perfecting your husbandry can reduce the stress and hopefully snap your little one out of it and getting him going.
Thanks for the reply. I will take some pictures, and awnser the questions tomorrow. As I’m heading to bed right now.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Did you get your little guy eating today? If not I am sure many of the folks on here with much more expertise than myself will be more than willing to offer up some advice. It’s important to get them going quickly when they are PetSmart small because the tiny ones can detoriate quickly.

Jessg

Original Poster
kmwilson042182":2snl2a1e said:
Did you get your little guy eating today? If not I am sure many of the folks on here with much more expertise than myself will be more than willing to offer up some advice. It’s important to get them going quickly when they are PetSmart small because the tiny ones can detoriate quickly.
No :(. I threw in a bunch of crickets in his tank. And he couldn’t care less. I dropped a bit of water on his nose with a dropper and he drank a tiny bit.
I also did go out a buy a higher wattage light bulb. So now his basking spot in up too 105-110.
I will take a picture of his tank.
And you are right. He is damn tiny. No idea why they sell them that small.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
On the homepage you will find the User Upload Image Manager. You can use that to upload images. Once they uploaded when you are composing a message you can hit the XIMG button above and insert those pics into your message. You could also just tell us a little about your setup too (tank size, lighting, temps, substrates, etc) and let us know all the relevant factors. Did the little one still not eat anything today?

Jessg

Original Poster
kmwilson042182":2trvin4a said:
On the homepage you will find the User Upload Image Manager. You can use that to upload images. Once they uploaded when you are composing a message you can hit the XIMG button above and insert those pics into your message. You could also just tell us a little about your setup too (tank size, lighting, temps, substrates, etc) and let us know all the relevant factors. Did the little one still not eat anything today?
Still can’t figure it out lol. But he’s in a 40 gal (I’ve cut it in half cause it’s huge. And the back and both sides are covered as he kept going for his reflection). He has a water dish. Food dish. Two hides. He’s got a hammock and a big basking log.
His basking temps is now 105-110. Also have a uvb Light. The long one. I believe it’s 10.0 repti sun? (It’s the kind I use for my Chameleon’s).
He hasn’t eaten yet (only been two days).
Normally wouldn’t worry. But seeing as how he’s from petsmart.
I will try and figure out the picture thing to be able to post a picture of him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Go to top of page click on User Image Uploader -- down load pics -- go to reply on top of message click on XIMG -- pics will post ----- where is your UVB ? Is it the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a T 8? Is it inside the tank?
Karrie

Jessg

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1vt109mm said:
Go to top of page click on User Image Uploader -- down load pics -- go to reply on top of message click on XIMG -- pics will post ----- where is your UVB ? Is it the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a T 8? Is it inside the tank?
Karrie
It’s on top of the tank. And I believe it’s a T5

Jessg

Original Poster
kmwilson042182":2hbuxrz0 said:
What veggies and bugs are you offering the little one?
Carrots I made a mix of bell peppers. Carrots. Mustard and collard greens.
Bugs I’ve only tried crickets. I will have to order in some small worms. As my city only carries crickets. Superworms and meal worms.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Depending on what kind of screen top you have the mesh could be filtering out a lot of the UVB. The T5 is the slimmer of the long bulbs. The T8 is thicker and what people would consider the normal size. The T8 definitely can’t sit on top of a screen cause it’s much less powerful than the T5

Jessg

Original Poster
kmwilson042182":33d5sinh said:
Depending on what kind of screen top you have the mesh could be filtering out a lot of the UVB. The T5 is the slimmer of the long bulbs. The T8 is thicker and what people would consider the normal size. The T8 definitely can’t sit on top of a screen cause it’s much less powerful than the T5
Its a skinnier tube light. I will have to look into that, and possibly change the lights to a T5 if they aren’t.
Since I’m using the same lights for my Cham. I am hoping they are T5s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom