Gaping/gasping

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 3 month beardie is shedding profusely, gaping and breathing heavily. He's never gasped like this before. I sprayed him for 10 min. to soak him and was ready to rush to the vet, but now he seems better. Should I still see the vet? His tank temps are 105 & 80F, respectively, and he ate 30 crickets this morning. He absolutely HATES baths, spraying is the only way to hydrate. Please help or I'm going to vet just to be safe!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can take a soft tooth brush to the loosen the skin on him when he is in the bath- hes probably grumpy from the shed and I am surprised his eating--- but that is good -- it will pass --
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree I dont think it's anything to worry about. They do this to help loosen and remove the skin during their sheds. If hes always been healthy before this then I wouldn't worry.

I personally don't recommend misting just because it increases the risk of a URI but that's just me and some do so successfully.

-Brandon

Bobolynx1226

Original Poster
Yes you are both right, I panic when he displays behavior I've never seen because he sheds every 10 days or so. Gryphon is fine now, but I was not aware that misting could cause URI. I do this every day and he tolerates it for a minute then climbs up to snuggle on my neck. I tried bathing him countless times in bowls, sinks, bathtub & used warm, tepid and cool water. He freaks out and scrambles to get away. I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself and he gets so stressed his breathing is labored. I don't know any other way to keep him hydrated since he doesn't drink any water. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. He will sometimes eat a tiny bit of greens & sweet potato only if I hand feed; I'm thinking that's not enough hydration.
Another question. I have a lot of spiders in my old farmhouse so I hired an exterminator to spray. This guy assured me this would not hurt Gryph as long as I didn't let him run around on the floor, especially in the corners, but I'm still worried. What about fumes? This guy is a pro with excellent credentials and he wants to spray every 3 months in the basement, attic, and all around the foundation inside & out. I would appreciate any and ALL advice please! Bug guy is coming 3/27.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, I am not an expert with exterminations, etc but I would definitely be careful with having it
done too often. I would hate for there to be too much toxins around to where he can't even get
out of his tank.
What type of spiders, etc are we talking about, poisonous ones?

Tracie

Bobolynx1226

Original Poster
Hi there. Spiders are many different types but a lot of them are brown and big. I don't know if there are any brown recluse but they have been spotted in this area, as are black widows. I hate any spiders but will tolerate them if there is any chance spraying will harm Gryphon. He loves to cuddle in the evening. I hold him for hours and sometimes I sleep with him all night. I know this is frowned upon, however I am a very 'aware' sleeper and don' t change positions when he's on me. He doesn't move. Stays asleep on my chest as long as I let him. I'm not going to keep him locked away in his tank because of spray fumes. I guess I need to research other ways to get rid of spiders.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My understanding of perimeter bug defense is that it's a liquid that goes down, but once it dries there are no fumes or anything that get released. I believe what is left is microscopic crystals of sorts which deter bugs from crossing over them. Although I guess it would depend on what exactly they are spraying.
If you're paying someone to do a job, they better be willing to answer a few questions you have. Dont be afraid to ask what they are spraying and how it works.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom