Anything else I can do to help my little guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got a month old baby on Monday. He seems to be in good health, he is very alert, and likes to run around from time to time.

The issue is he is dealing with relocation stress (I think), beginning to shed, and won't eat very much. The store (reptile store) had him grazing on meal worms (I explained that those are pretty bad for beardie babies) whenever he wanted and he was on aspen chips in his tank. Now we feed 2 to 3 times a day (if he eats) and use nonadhesive shelf liner for his substrate.

I've checked all I could think of, temp at basking spot was about 104-106 using a temp gun, the cooler side fluctuatates between 75 and 85, I have a 22 inch arcadia 12% uvb bulb, feeding crickets, bsfl, and mustard greens. His uvb and basking light are on top of the top metal screen. Should we mount the uvb to the inside of the tank? I feel like it would be a little too close to his basking spot (likely 7 inches or so). He's in a 20 gallon long tank for right now.

Monday he ate about 15 crickets and I could see a small part of his tail scales starting to lift, Tuesday he ate maybe 3 crickets shed looked the same, Wednesday ate maybe 5 crickets and some greens shed looked like it was coming along slowly, Thursday he ate about 20ish bsfl and she'd looked the same, Friday he ate 2 or 3 bsfl and his body is starting to look dull as if it is getting ready to shed. He is getting a bath every other day. So far he has pooped everyday and his poops are good sized and healthy looking.

He doesn't really leave his basking rock much except for a few times where he sees us and gets excited. He has been glass surfing some.

I just feel bad for the guy because of all this stuff happening at once. Is there anything I could do better? Does this all sound normal with the relocation and shed starting? I'm worried about him but can't think of anything else to do and wanted to see if this is all normal.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You're doing everything fine. My little guy is going through the same thing, including the shedding and he's only on day 4 with me. But we've all been through it before, like I mentioned in your other thread, it can last anywhere from a few days to two weeks. Just hang in there he will settle in.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB is probably ok on top of the 20 gallon tank but if and when you decide to go to a bigger tank which will be by the time hes a year as he will outgrow it pretty quickly you would want to move that UVB into the tank mounted approx 10-11 inches from basking spot--- at this point about the relocation will take some time -- about the aspen chips not really familiar w/ them-- I heard walnut chips are bad -- I would like for some one else to weigh in on that ---- if they say something about getting rid of them you can always use paper towels - newspaper -- until you go to a bigger tank then I would recommend non adhesive shelf liner or ceramic slated tile -- it is way easier to keep clean -- the tile would need to be cut to tank size as the shelf liner as well and its cheap - I did my 120 gallon w/ ceramic tile was around $13-- cleaning w/ vinegar/ water in a spray bottle-- give your little guy time he will adjust -- as long as hes eating and pooping he will be fine-- continue to handle him and talk to him -- they usually bond w/ the one that feeds and handles them the most--
Karrie

Whyitsdonut

Original Poster
KarrieRee":lonrbtdd said:
The UVB is probably ok on top of the 20 gallon tank but if and when you decide to go to a bigger tank which will be by the time hes a year as he will outgrow it pretty quickly you would want to move that UVB into the tank mounted approx 10-11 inches from basking spot--- at this point about the relocation will take some time -- about the aspen chips not really familiar w/ them-- I heard walnut chips are bad -- I would like for some one else to weigh in on that ---- if they say something about getting rid of them you can always use paper towels - newspaper -- until you go to a bigger tank then I would recommend non adhesive shelf liner or ceramic slated tile -- it is way easier to keep clean -- the tile would need to be cut to tank size as the shelf liner as well and its cheap - I did my 120 gallon w/ ceramic tile was around $13-- cleaning w/ vinegar/ water in a spray bottle-- give your little guy time he will adjust -- as long as hes eating and pooping he will be fine-- continue to handle him and talk to him -- they usually bond w/ the one that feeds and handles them the most--
Karrie

I have him on the shelf liner not aspen chips.

Yeah the issue is him eating on and off and eating very little during this transition /shed time. However his poops are regular and healthy looking

Whyitsdonut

Original Poster
claudiusx":655y8blz said:
You're doing everything fine. My little guy is going through the same thing, including the shedding and he's only on day 4 with me. But we've all been through it before, like I mentioned in your other thread, it can last anywhere from a few days to two weeks. Just hang in there he will settle in.

-Brandon

Thanks I just wanted to be sure. I feel bad for the little guy haha

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Oops sorry-- misread-- he will eat off and on -- it's adjustment-- I would not give him anymore meal worms-- to hard on their digestive system-- but the other stuff he's eating is good
Karrie

Whyitsdonut

Original Poster
KarrieRee":u84k5efu said:
Oops sorry-- misread-- he will eat off and on -- it's adjustment-- I would not give him anymore meal worms-- to hard on their digestive system-- but the other stuff he's eating is good
Karrie

OH yeah, I've fed him 1 total meal worm. That was on the first day, he's only had crickets and black soldier fly larvae since then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom