Sudden change, hiding but not burmation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann404

I havent posted in awhile. We got beardie on Christmas so hes around 5month. Over a foot long, not fat but thick tail. I finally moved his t5 ho light inside his cage, was on top the screen. But I have not removed the compact light he had. At that same time he started staying under his platform which is 2 inches tall. Wont come out. But if I lift it up, he will eat (roaches) just fine. I cant get him to drink, and he never has. I've put bugs in water, syringes like youd give baby meds from to his mouth. Even tried pulling down on the corner of his mouth. Dripping water on his face. Tried baths, but he hates them. He simply wont drink. I know he needs to see the water movement, but nothing works. His poop is wet, but well formed, smells bad, and urates are starting to be hard. Hasnt gone in two days. Cage is 4 ft, hot side is 85, cool side is 75, basking is 95degrees. Oh and since we've had him, hes never active, or friendly, we never gave up trying and now use a cloth to hold him. Which he hates. Hes offered salad daily. Any help, thoughts would be very appreciated, ann

Ann404

Original Poster
Just adding he pooped in his salad just now. Urates were hard so I have him in water. No hes not drinking it. He is so stressed, I know he hates me, but not sure what else I can do?

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
So sorry to hear about your little guy. Sounds like he's being a little grump right now. If his poop smells bad, I'd take a fecal sample to the vet and test for worms and parasites. Can you review more of your tank setup with us (type of lighting, substrate, etc.)? Possibly upload some pictures?

Ann404

Original Poster
102705-7160378238.jpg
Here's an old picture. Only difference is on the cool side (opposite the basking platform) we added the low platform he hides under, and that's the side with the high out put t5 bulb. I've read on here that theres is an online place to send in a sample in the UK. Any place in the US does online fecal testing?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The T 5 should be 10-11 inches from basking area-- my guess is the bulb is too strong-- as they are -- I am not sure about fecal sampling -- you might want to try googling a reptile vet in your area and go from there -- how are you getting your temps -- basking ? Are you using a Infrared heat gun- they give the most accurate-- as long as the bugs are gut loaded hes getting hydration from them -- is he sitting under the UVB at all?
Karrie

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Yes, I think the he is too close to the UVB and he doesn't like it. From what I can tell, there's only one light source, is that correct?

SPandS

Juvie Member
I've read everything several times and don't see where it says how close the new uvb light is from the basking area just that it's on the cooler side. Ideally it should be the same side as the basking light so they can absorb the uvb while they bask. But I think you still have your old uvb on that side? In the wild they are prey animals to birds so having the fixture above him maybe making him a bit nervous and making him want to hide. How far is the basking spot to the top? If it's about 8 inches or so you can move the t5 back above the screen along side his basking bulb. And if you want more light on the cooler side move the older uvb bulb over to that side.

Ann404

Original Poster
So sorry for the confusion. The cage is not tall enough for the t5. But the compact is not strong enough. So in the picture you see the high platform and above is his heat source and the compact uvb. Hes simply too big for that setup. So I was slowly changing his setup. I had planned to add a basking light with the t5 and take out his other high platform. I'm going to try the get a current pic.

Ann404

Original Poster
102705-8400107678.jpg
102705-7503994549.jpg
102705-4330100827.jpg
102705-7639502492.jpg
102705-420810944.jpg
His basking area is 95, I had the top open, that's why it shows 91. And usual there is salad in the cage, but he pooped in it today. Cool end was 78, and the picture of him, is from his hiding spot. That skin around his nasal has been there since his last shed. Hes very alert.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The coil is no good --- I would take it out --- how tall is your tank - his basking spot should be 10-11 inches from UVB-- it looks or appears to be tall enough--- the screen looks wide enough you could set that T 5 on top -- its the fine mesh we are concerned about not getting thru---
Karrie

SPandS

Juvie Member
I thought I was maybe over looking some things as others were saying it was too close and I couldn't find where it said how close it was. I have 2 tanks both have the t5 on top of the screen because my basking spot is so close to the top. From what I read and I researched to make sure it was ok, if it's about 8 inches or so from the bulb it is ok to put it above the screen. Yes it will block some uvb but your dragon will be close enough to still benefit from it. But if you are planning on changing some things up and removing the higher platform then it'll probably be best to keep it under the screen. How long ago did you move the t5 under the screen? Do you have a basking bulb? I see the coil and a che but no bright white basking bulb.

Ann404

Original Poster
SandP":rkpmc5st said:
I thought I was maybe over looking some things as others were saying it was too close and I couldn't find where it said how close it was. I have 2 tanks both have the t5 on top of the screen because my basking spot is so close to the top. From what I read and I researched to make sure it was ok, if it's about 8 inches or so from the bulb it is ok to put it above the screen. Yes it will block some uvb but your dragon will be close enough to still benefit from it. But if you are planning on changing some things up and removing the higher platform then it'll probably be best to keep it under the screen. How long ago did you move the t5 under the screen? Do you have a basking bulb? I see the coil and a che but no bright white basking bulb.
Right, I got a basking bulb, but I couldn't get the temps right. He would be too far from the compact uvb. And he was tiny, so the higher platform seemed ok. But I knew that compact was bad, so that t5 has been on top of the screen for 2 months, trying figure out how to make it work. I should have got the t8 for our setup. Anyway I just moved the t5 under the screen, and it was at that time he started to hide and stop basking. But how could it be effecting his basking spot which is high on the other side. The goal was to add a actual basking light next to the t5 and remove the others.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The T 5 should be 10-11 inches from basking -- they are strong bulbs--
Karrie

Ann404

Original Poster
Oh and still, maybe the bigger concern is hes becoming dehydrated. I base that on the fact that his urates are so hard, my understanding is it should be formed but soft.

Ann404

Original Poster
KarrieRee":v0176wb0 said:
The T 5 should be 10-11 inches from basking -- they are strong bulbs--
Karrie
I will put it back on top of the screen. And see if his behavior changes. Any thought on water for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom