Pinworms and Coccida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardie04

Hi,

I have 4 bearded dragons all females all housed separately. One just got treated for pinworms and coccida, I thought, but the meds given by the vet was Ponazuril, which reading up on is for treating coccida. Then reading up on treatment for pinworms is Pancure. I have my beardies for about 6 years now and kind know what their feces looks like when they has pinworms/coccida. So, I wanted to try buying the meds online but I am confused on what to buy. Do I need to buy both meds and treat the coccida and pinworms at different times or is there a med out there that will treat both?? Has anybody tried using Reptaid?Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did you actually get a fecal done, or not?
Are the pinworms relatively bad? For pinworms, strongid or panacur are the two most commonly
used medications. Coccidia is commonly treated with sulfa based meds like Albon, but I think
Ponazuril/Toltrazuril is a better choice because it is a specific,anti-coccidial agent & easier on
their system.
Reptaid has been used a lot for overall health, immune system boosting as well as parasite control
& is usually pretty effective for a natural remedy.
I hope this helps.

Tracie

Beardie04

Original Poster
Thank you for the information. Yes I did get a fecal sample done by the vet and was prescribed the Ponazuril, which seems to be her choice of med as my other beardie was prescribed the same even though they said they were positive for pinworms and coccidia. With that being said I'm assuming that they have more coccidia than pinworms. Again I was just wondering if there was a med out there that would help with both. So Reptaid is more of a preventative product not something to help cure parasites? I love my beardies and I don't want to give them something they don't need. Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, if the vet just gave the Ponazuril then the coccidia number was probably more alarming
than the pinworms. Bringing those numbers down should get rid of the pinworms too.
Parazap is an all natural remedy made with worm wood & a few other herbal ingredients that
has been pretty effective & Reptaid is another all natural remedy too. Both of those help in just
cleaning out the GI tract to help naturally flush anything out without medications.
You can also try a mix of parsley, cilantro, basil & mint for a natural deworming, too. Mix it up
with water & black cherry juice daily, for a week or so.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom