How to fatten him up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grape

About a month ago I rescued a bearded dragon that a family couldn't take with them while moving. He seems a little bit scrawny compared to other beardies I've seen in youtube videos and pictures on here. I was just wondering if anyone knew good ways to get him to be a little more plump. Should I just feed him lots of bugs? Are there any in particular that are better to use when trying to fatten your beardie up?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post a pic of him --- go to top of page - click on user image uploader- down load pics - click on reply on top of message box click on XIMG -- pics will post

Karrie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Do you know the age of the dragon?
At certain stages in a dragon's life you have to real careful about fatty foods, they can cause serious health problems down the line.
Is it eating well or, is it a bit sketchy?
If the dragon is suffering from malnutrition, you have to go slowly so it can get it's metabolism going at first. Dubia Roaches, BSFL (black soldier fly larva) and, silkworms are great staple feeders to start with. If he/she is fed properly the weight will come in time.
Greens like turnip greens, mustard greens and, collard greens should be offered every day and, IF your new dragon (aka;boss aka;master) is over the age of 18 months, 80% of it's diet should be veggies and, 20% bugs. The opposite applies if it is under 18 months.
I hope this helps you a little and, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.....remember.... the only dumb question is one that is not asked :D

grape

Original Poster
103178-875159782.jpg
103178-5160111976.jpg

Here are a few pictures of him. He doesn't seem extremely skinny but his limbs and tail just seem a lot slimmer than other beardies that I've seen. I don't know anything about his past, I never got to talk to the old owners, it's possible he was passed around a lot. Not sure how old he is but I think he might be fully grown?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yes, I would say you are correct in assuming he is full grown. His fat pads are not as healthy as they should be, being sunken like that.He should be on a 20% bug 80% veggie diet. Muscle tone will build as he eats a proper diet. Be sure he has plenty of climbing areas for exercise. It will take time.

Fresh salads twice a day and, bugs every other day. Vitamin supplements twice a week and, Calcium dusted bugs 5x a week.
the first pic shows me his tail base size is good but, his fat pads look thin.
The second pic shows him pancaking to absorb more heat.

Most times the problems they have are in the husbandry....lighting, heat and, feeding. Can you tell us about his enclosure?
UVB?
Heat-basking?
Temps and, how you are getting them?
Substrate?
A couple of pics of the enclosure would help a lot as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom