Head Bobbing & Not Eating for a Few Months Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

halima16

Hello,

My Basil will not stop head bobbing. He is now 18 months, 500g and is 19in long. His basking spot is 100-110 F, and his cool side is a little under 80 F.

He will not eat any bugs. He refuses. He will eat veggies, he loves kale, but for some reason, he won't eat the dubia roaches I have for him. All he does most of the day is run around his tank and head bob. Even when I take him out to run around the apartment, he will run, then head bob, run, then head bob. I give him baths a couple times a week and he drinks water, his color looks totally fine, he has only lost 50g in the last 4 or 5 months he has been this way. AND obviously, he has energy because he runs around like a crazy person head bobbing at everything! I'm worried because I don't know what I can do to remedy the situation. My main concern is that a diet of only kale will not suffice for much longer.

He is not aggressive towards me at all except he hates being held, so he squirms a lot. But no other strange behavior.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, some males have a very strong mating drive and your guy is one of them. This will pass and is probably not a health problem. BTW, his weight at 500 grams is fine, don't worry too much about that and although you don't want him to quickly lose a lot of weight he is at the weight he should be and so you don't want him gaining much back.

Are you offering other greens mixed with his kale ? Try turnip. mustard, collards, endive, arugula as well as squash. And do you mean that he has not eaten ANY bugs for 4-5 months ? If so, try crickets or silkworms.

halima16

Original Poster
AHBD":369eqehh said:
Hi there, some males have a very strong mating drive and your guy is one of them. This will pass and is probably not a health problem. BTW, his weight at 500 grams is fine, don't worry too much about that and although you don't want him to quickly lose a lot of weight he is at the weight he should be and so you don't want him gaining much back.

Are you offering other greens mixed with his kale ? Try turnip. mustard, collards, endive, arugula as well as squash. And do you mean that he has not eaten ANY bugs for 4-5 months ? If so, try crickets or silkworms.

Yah, I mean he won't eat any roaches. I haven't tried silk worms before, so I will give that a go. Thank you so much for your reassurance. He is SUPER picky. I have tried so many other greens with him and he will only ever eat kale and apples. No other fruit or greens, so I haven't tried in a while. But I will try mustard or squash.

I've had a few lizards go through mating season without eating for a month. It's really disconcerying, but generally passes just when you start getting worried. Leopard Geckos in particular do this a couple times a year I feel.

It's been a while since my beardy has however, usually he does when he's ready for brumation.

Foxxy76

My guy is doing the same thing! lol! Head bobbing at everything! The fishes, the cats, the couch, the hallway, his food..Silly boy!

halima16

Original Poster
Well, at least Basil isn't the only one haha. BTW he finally had some roaches, I think he might be coming out of it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

At this age, they tend to go through phases of being picky with their foods. He is male so he is
most likely just in mating stages, where his hormones rule everything. LOL
I agree, this doesn't really sound like a health issue to me, either & it should pass. Give him
time & he should get out of this phase pretty soon.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom