Bathing my dragon too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I have a 7 week old and I bathe her twice a day at the moment, is this too much? She's going through shed anyway so I always give her a proper bath and a little scrub in the morning after I've cleaned the water from her stool. The second time is in the evenings after she's eaten, I'll wait until she's been and then just take her straight out and give her a towel dry. When I first had her, she was fine with just going in the morning, but then she started going toilet at night as well, and still go in the morning. So I have 3 main questions:
1, Am I bathing her too much that it will compromise her health in anyway?
2, Is it better to bathe before or after feeding? She does a lot of swimming so will she regurgitate, not properly digest or even get stich from all the exercise?
3, Is the doubled amount in stool in the last few days something to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would bathe before feeding, since she does swim a lot in her bath.
Be sure she is all dried off before bedtime so she doesn't get chilled in the evening.
Has she been eating a lot more recently? It is a good thing she is passing everything through
without any trouble. Are her urates hard or soft then?
Usually a bath a few times a week is sufficient. If you find that she prefers to go potty in her
bath then that is fine also.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BrummyBeardie":154sok8j said:
Hi all, I have a 7 week old and I bathe her twice a day at the moment, is this too much? She's going through shed anyway so I always give her a proper bath and a little scrub in the morning after I've cleaned the water from her stool. The second time is in the evenings after she's eaten, I'll wait until she's been and then just take her straight out and give her a towel dry. When I first had her, she was fine with just going in the morning, but then she started going toilet at night as well, and still go in the morning. So I have 3 main questions:
Yes and yes , especially if it's stressing the dragon or it aspirates some water into lungs.
2, Is it better to bathe before or after feeding? She does a lot of swimming so will she regurgitate, not properly digest or even get stich from all the exercise?
why , who told you this was a good thing to do ? every time a dragon regurgitates it risks burning it's throat with acid gastric juices, and it risks aspirating some into the lungs = VERY BAD.
3, Is the doubled amount in stool in the last few days something to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance.
Way to often.... you never need to bath a bearded dragon unless it's soiled itself or needs some stubborn shed loosened or it's impacted.

My girl Peppa (who actually loves a bath) only gets a bath a few times a year.

BrummyBeardie

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1obdu240 said:
BrummyBeardie":1obdu240 said:
Yes and yes , especially if it's stressing the dragon or it aspirates some water into lungs.
why , who told you this was a good thing to do ? every time a dragon regurgitates it risks burning it's throat with acid gastric juices, and it risks aspirating some into the lungs = VERY BAD.

Thanks in advance.
Way to often.... you never need to bath a bearded dragon unless it's soiled itself or needs some stubborn shed loosened or it's impacted.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. You advise is contrary to all other sources I've read, which is interesting. You only bath or your Beardie a few times a year? I know that for a baby, rspca recommends bathing between daily to 3 times a week. An adult, once a week.

Secondly, I think you may have misread my second question. She has never regurgitated, the question was could it make her bathing her after feeding and do dragons get stich like humans do.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BrummyBeardie":29l1abjl said:
kingofnobbys":29l1abjl said:
BrummyBeardie":29l1abjl said:

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. You advise is contrary to all other sources I've read, which is interesting. You only bath or your Beardie a few times a year? I know that for a baby, rspca recommends bathing between daily to 3 times a week. An adult, once a week.
<<<< RSPCA are hopeless when it comes to reptile care advise, their focus is fury animals animals and feathery ones. Better off ignoring their advise like that of petshops.
Bearded dragons are arid zone dwellers and cope very well with zero exposure to standing or flowing water or rain.

Secondly, I think you may have misread my second question. She has never regurgitated, the question was could it make her bathing her after feeding and do dragons get stich like humans do.
risk is the dragon ingesting too much water , and even more dangerous , aspirating water into their lungs.

If you want better advise try AUSTRALIAN REPTILE PARK at Gosford (there are professional reptile keepers employed there and if you ask them by email you may get a response) , general advise here in Australia for good beardie hushandry is bath them only when necessary .
Or ask the breeder you bought your dragon off.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I’m new to dragons (only 3 months into ownership of a year old boy) and I bath mine once daily. He will only toilet in the bath which is my reason for it. He is never stressed, I always bath about 2 hours after eating his breakfast so he has plenty of time to be fully dry and it seems to be working for me and my dragon.
I wouldn’t bath mine more than nice a day though as I do it only in the morning so no risk of him being damp still at night

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Of cause if the dragon enjoys the experience , endulge the dragon.

Pooing in the bath can actually be a fear response , so be careful of this.

My Peppa goes really brightly coloured in her entire body (happy colours) when she get her occasional bath and seems to enjoy a good splash , I usually only bath her is she's sat on her poo and it's dried on her tummy or legs or tail , or if I want to encourage her poo (with tummy rubs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom